Haworth

Home Contributors Contact Links Wallpaper Search
 News
 Local Community
 Annual Events
 Out and About
 Local History
 Nature
 The Brontes
 Steam Railway
 360° Panoramas
 Tourist Information

Haworth History
Past & Present Pictures
Haworth Maps 1852
Haworth Schools History
Stanbury School History

History Pictures
Haworth
Oxenhope
Cross Rds
Stanbury


Haworth Historical Events in May

History Pics

27/05/1788
John Wesley preached at Haworth

07/05/1807
Sir Isaac Holden was born. He is said to have invented the Lucifer safety match and improved the way wool combing machines worked. In 1885 he became Keighley's first MP. He lived at Oakworth Hall situated where Oakworth Park is, the house was destroyed by fire in 1909.

14/05/1818
Isaac, Joseph and John Farrer were members of the notorious set of ruffians called the "Haworth Gang" and were tried for breaking into the home of James Heap, Warley Cold Edge, May 14th 1818. They had been acquitted on a similar charge a year previously. Sentence of death was passed, but instead they were this time transported.
Extract from The Annals of Wakefield House of Correction

18/05/1852
Richard Butterfield a mill owner in Haworth challenged the working system in court. He lost due to new evidence on the actual system he used, he was lowering the agreed piecework for his gain.

08/05/1856
"Ellis Hartley, of Haworth, fined 5s. and costs, for being drunk, or to sit six hours in the stocks."

07/05/1867
"That the surveyor take such steps as are found requisite and lawful to repave and otherwise improve the thoroughfare leading to the property in the Gaugers Croft so as to make it more safe for foot passengers and other traffic."
Extract from Haworth Local Board of Health Minute Book

01/05/1870
The annual pilgramage to Haworth Spa which was made on the first Sunday in May to thank God for the gift of pure water. It appears the custom died out around the start of the first world war.

02/05/1871
"The Committee appointed last meeting for inquiring into the water supply of the district, the making of the new reservoir, recommended that the new reservoir be made and the surveyor instruct Mr Barber Hopkinson, land surveyor, to prepare and produce to the Board plans specifications and estimates for the required works varying in amount from £200 to £500."
Extract from Haworth Local Board of Health Minute Book - The building of "Hough Reservoir" the second reservoir in Haworth, now disused situated near co-op fields back of Sun St.

16/05/1871
"That the streets be swept once a week and the refuse removed the same day and deposited in such a place that it shall not cause a nuisance."
Extract from Haworth Local Board of Health Minute Book

28/05/1879
A meeting was held to discuss Reverand Wade's proposal to demolish the old Bronte church and build a new one.

08/05/1889
The first horse tram ran in Keighley from North Street to Ingrow.

01/05/1894
That Mr Abraham Roper be given 14 days notice to abate nuisance caused by smoke and stench arising from boiling offal in River Street.
Extract from Haworth Local Board of Health Minute Book

07/05/1895
That the Clerk be instructed without prejudice to the Council to endeavour to settle the claim made by Albert Holmes for damages said to have been sustained by him by reason of an explosion of gas in his house 25 North Street on the 14th July last
Extract from Haworth Urban District Council Minute Book

31/05/1902
The chairman said that no doubt the members of the council would have heard with great pleasure that peace had at last been proclaimed in his Majesty's Dominions and he hoped the council would be pleased to express their general approval and acclamation of the fact. Thereupon Mr Hirst moved and Mr Wood seconded that this council desires to express its great satisfaction and thankfulness that peace has been proclaimed in South Africa and we trust that the whole of South Africa will now begin to enjoy prosperity and liberty and that all his Majesty's subjects in that country will share therein.
Extract from Haworth Urban District Council

23/05/1903
Haworth Church Sunday School foundation stone was laid by George Merrall Esq.

The building was demolished in 1965/6 and the site is now a car park, which is situated opposite the Bronte Parsonage Museum.

28/05/1904
Keighley horse-trams ran for the last time, they were replaced by an electrified system.

04/05/1904
The Prince and Princess of Wales visited Bradford to officially unveil the statue of Queen Victoria (at Morley st, near the Alhambra).

03/05/1909
Keighley Corporation to run motor buses or trams from Ingrow into the Council's area. After the matter had been discussed it was unanimously resolved that it be referred to the finance and general purposes committee for consideration.
Extract from Haworth Urban District Council Minute Book

20/05/1910
A special meeting of the Council was held this date at the Council Chamber, Haworth. The Chairman made special reference to the death of his Majesty, King Edward VII and stated that the burial of the King would take place on the 20th inst. It was unanimously resolved that the Chairmen and members of the Council and Officers attend Divine Worship at the Parish Church on Friday the 20th inst at 2pm. And that the following be invited to take part, and meet at the Council's Offices and march in procession to the Church, viz:-
Haworth Brass Band
Third Battalion West Riding Regiment (Haworth Detachment)
Ambulance Brigade
Church lads Brigade and Boy Scouts
Police
Clergy and Ministers
Chairman and Clerk of the Council and Councillors
Worth Valley Local Education Sub Committee
West Riding Justices and County Councillor for the Haworth District
Haworth Guardians
The Council's Officers
Head Masters of Schools
Post Office Officials and Registrar of the District
Free Masons Lodge
Representatives of Friendly Societies
Representatives of Fire Brigade
That posters be issued requesting that all places of business in the Council's District be closed from 12 noon to 4pm and that all Blinds be drawn from 1:00pm to 3pm and that the Police marshal the procession.
Extract from Haworth Urban District Council minutes

30/05/1911
That all labourers in the employ of the Council (paid by the hour) be allowed two-and-half days holiday per year and time and quarter for Sunday Labour.
That day men be allowed one week's holiday throughout the year at the discretion of the Gas manager or surveyor.
That regular stokers be allowed one week's holiday and occasional stokers working part time in this capacity four day's per year, the above conditions to apply only to those who have been in the service of the Council one year.
That the Gas manager and surveyor be allowed 10 days' holiday each per year.
Extract from Haworth Urban District Council Minute Book

07/05/1912
That the Clerk reply to communication received from the Anti-bearing Rein Association stating that the Council have decided to discontinue the use of Hame-rein on their cart horses harness and have agreed that the Council allow their name to be added to the list of Urban District Councils who have decided to discontinue the use of the Hame rein on their cart horses.
That the communications received from various persons with reference to claims for alleged loss sustained by reason of steam road engine sticking fast in portion of highway of Keighley Road, Cross Roads be referred to the Council’s Solicitor to deal with as he may advise.
The Surveyor reported that he had obtained permission to erect two motor danger signals at Side Bar and that the work had been carried out.
Extract from Haworth Urban District Council Minute Book

15/05/1914
"The first class boys and girls are going to the Keighley museum this afternoon- via the Lower Laithe water works, the contract for which was let last week to Messrs Morrison & Mason, Glasgow, for £150, 027. Very soon the puddle trench will begin to be filled in-first with concrete (narrow lower portion) and then with clay."
Extract from Stanbury school log book

22/05/1914
"Mr Raeburn was here yesterday & again today attending to the dental requirements of those children whose parents requested it. Some cases were difficult ones but gas & modern contrivances got through about 100 extractions, and several cases of "filling".
Extract from Stanbury school log book

29/05/1918
The King and Queen visited Keighley:
"This morning there is the following communication from the Divisional Clerk:- "I have to inform you that it has been decided to close the school at noon tomorrow, the 29th on the occasion of the visit of his Majesty the King to Keighley" I was therefore able to get away to fulfil my duties as a special constable while many parents & children got a chance of seeing the King & Queen for the first time in their lives."
Extract from Stanbury school log book

04/05/1920
That the Clerk reply to letter received from Messers Hattersley Sons and Co Ltd in which they asked if the Council are prepared to take over some portion of roads and suggesting that the first length for discussion should be the road from the Toll Bar to the top of Ebor Lane.
Extract from Haworth Urban District Council Minute Book

03/05/1921
“That a committee be appointed to consider the cutting down of trees on the Councils sewage farm in the present fuel emergency, for fuel in the district, with executive power to act as they may decide.”
Extract from Haworth Urban District minutes - There was a Miners strike in 1921

04/05/1922
That the wages of the men employed in this Department paid by the hour be reduced one penny per hour, and that the wages of the Sewage Farm Manager, Cemetery Caretaker and Steam Road Roller driver be reduced 4/0 per week, the reduction to take effect and be operative from and including May 4th 1922.
Extract from Haworth Urban District Council Minute Book

01/05/1923
That the Council draw the attention of the public to the practice of throwing on to the roads and footpaths waste paper, orange peel, banana skins, and various descriptions of rubbish to the detriment and danger of the public, and to the general sanitary condition of the Council's District. The Council ask the help of the public in carrying out their duties as the Sanitary Authority of the District, and so assist in keeping the public thoroughfare clean and tidy.

The Clerk reported receipt of a communication from the secretary of the Electricity Commission informing the Council that an order had been made by the commissioners under section 6 of the Electric Lighting Act 1909, to permit the Corporation of Keighley to supply electricity to the premises known as "Longlands" situate in the Council's District and outside the area of supply under the Keighley and Electric Lighting Orders 1899 and 1915, and enclosing a copy of Order.
Extract from Haworth Urban District Council Minute Book

20/05/1924
That the Clerk communicate with the Postmaster at Keighley drawing his attention to the closing of letter box in Sun Street and to the inconvenience caused to the public thereby, and to the fact that letters are often cleared from the Bridgehouse Lane letter box a quarter of an hour before the stated time and sometimes half an hour before.
Extract from Haworth Urban District Council Minute Book

06/05/1924
That the Clerk communicate with the Post Office Authorities asking that they make provision for the erection of Public Telephone Boxes, say, one near to the Railway Station, one at the top of Haworth and one at Lees.
Extract from Haworth Urban District Council Minute Book

05/05/1925
That the gun and shell at present stored at Belle Isle depot be offered to the War Memorial Committee.

That the application of the Keighley Corporation for Hackney Carriage Licences in respect of five motor omnibuses and drivers licenses in respect of 29 drivers be granted.
Extract from Haworth Urban District Council Minute Book

12/05/1931
The caricaturist Max Beerbohm took lunch at the Black Bull with Thomas Hardy's widow.

02/05/1933
"That the Police Authorities be asked to exercise discretionary power in moving motor cars and vehicles standing in Mill Hey, between the point where the road narrows (immediately above W Waddingtons shop) to the Bank premises opposite Railway Station."
Extract from Haworth Urban District Council minutes - inconsiderate parking was a problem then in the 1930's and still is today.

12/05/1937
A tablet was erected at Haworth Central Park to Commemorate the opening of the Bowling Green and Pavilion on the Coronation day of their Majesties King George V1 and Queen Elizabeth.

10/05/1940
"German offensive opened on Western front."
Extract from Haworth School Log Book

17/05/1943
Sir Arthur Newsholme, K.C.B., M.D.(Lond.), F.R.C.P. died at Brighton. He was born at Haworth on 10th February 1857, and was a leading British public health expert during the Victorian era.




17/05/1943
"School closes today at 12 o'clock. The half holiday is to celebrate "Wings for Victory" week."
Extract from Stanbury school log book

24/05/1943
"Empire Day broadcast on Home Service listened to by classes."
Extract from Haworth School Log Book

10/05/1945
"School reopened after two-day break for V. E. celebrations. At 11:00 a.m. a service of Thanksgiving was held in the hall".
Extract from Haworth School log book

08/05/1945
"Following the announcement of Victory in Europe, by Mr Churchill, on the evening of 7th May, school closes for 8th May & 9th (two days)."
Extract from Stanbury school log book

07/05/1945
"In view of the report, by radio, of the surrender of Germany and the imminence of V.E (Victory in Europe) Day, the Head teacher called all classes together and announced that in all probability school would be closed tomorrow and the next day. Prayers were offered for our deliverance and our victory and the school dismissed at 4:05pm."
Extract from Haworth School log book

13/05/1946
"All Junior children and St1, in charge of the Head Teacher this afternoon paid a visit to the Bronte museum. First the cherry tree, planted in the Museum garden a year and a half ago, in memory of Emily Bronte was inspected. They were then conducted round the museum. Great interest was displayed in the Pistols of the Rev: Patrick Bronte and it was concluded that the holes in the Church Tower must have been made when that gentleman fired his pistol out of the window during the troublesome times of the Industrial Revolution."
Extract from Stanbury school log book

02/05/1962
The first Friday issue of the Keighley News was published.

The Keighley News was first published on Saturday, April 5, 1862. It was sold at one penny, it had four pages, the opening news was the latest report on the Civil War in America.

16/05/1983
The wheel clamp was first used in Britain at London's borough of Kensington. On 1st October 2012 using a wheel clamp to immobilise a vehicle on private land was banned.

11/05/1985
56 people tragically died in a fire at Bradford City football ground.

19/05/2000
Haworth Cross Roads and Stanbury Parish Council held their first Inaugural Annual Meeting.

31/05/2015
Private Martin BellA street was officially named Martin Bell Way at Shipley.

Private Martin Bell was killed in Afghanistan on January 2011.

Private Bell was deployed to Afghanistan with C (Bruneval) Company, 2nd Battalion The Parachute Regiment. He was fatally wounded by an improvised explosive device as he moved to assist a comrade injured by a separate device. He was awarded a posthumous George Medal for his actions.

Martin joined West Yorkshire Police in 2006 and had served as a Police Community Support Officer in Haworth and the Worth Valley.

"Private Martin Bell died going to the assistance of a critically injured friend in the most dangerous combat circumstances imaginable; 'greater love has no man than this'. He knew the risks all too well; twice in the minutes before his death he had witnessed at first-hand the devastating human impact of IEDs.

"The term 'hero' is overused in contemporary commentary; take a moment to reflect on the image of Martin Bell, a twenty-four-year-old paratrooper who disobeyed a direct order in order to render life-saving first aid to his colleague. For that exceptional valour he paid the ultimate price.

"Private Martin Bell's name will be carved into the chronicles of history; he will never be forgotten. Utrinque Paratus." Lieutenant Colonel Andrew Harrison, Commanding Officer, 2nd Battalion The Parachute Regiment.
Ministry of Defence eulogy here...



© haworth-village.org.uk 2001 - 2018


tracker