The station was built during the 2nd World War and was used as part of the GEE navigation system (started in March 1942) used to guide aircraft. The station was maintained by the RAF until 1970, Bradford University now use it.
Shame the place has now been demolished
Yep another little piece of history wiped out forever.
cant leave anything alone aparantly they call it progress
Didn't the police uncover a dead body near here in recent years, part of a murder investigation? This place has been a source of speculation (re was it a hidden nuclear bunker, or early warning syatem etc) for a number of years.
The site was still in use by the RAF after 1970, as a passive-tracking radar (for tracking enemy aircraft) in conjunction with similar sites at Hopton, Bramcote & Sopley. The system was top secret at the time. The two dishes were still present here in the 1990s.