1st December 1851
First recorded meeting of The Haworth Local Board of Health.
Present William Binns, William Holmes, Thomas Parker, John
Brown, William Roper, Abraham Roper, John Hudson, William
Turner and Thomas Pickles
15th December 1851
The Clerk make application to the respective parties, in the
best possible way, viz the parties who have the right of the
water or springs near Sowdens, as also the parties who have
the right of the water springs on the moor - lands in Haworth
Hamlet, westward from the village, and ascertain if they will
give the necessary consent, and upon what terms.
Unanimously agreed to, that the Clerk be authorised
to procure a proper seal for this Board, proposed by William
Turner, seconded by Thomas Pickles and passed unanimously.
That a sample draft of By-laws be procured in order that we
may derive assistance there from making these By-laws necessary
for the government of this board proposed by William Turner
seconded by William Roper and carried unanimously.
Proposed by John Hudson seconded by Thomas Parker
and agreed to unanimously that the surveyor, and inspector
of nuisances be appointed on the 6th day of January next,
the amount of his salary be undecided till March following.
15th March, 1852
The chairman stated to the Board, that the Reverend Patrick
Bronte as chairman of the meeting of rate payers and owners
of property nominated the following gentlemen as new members
of the Board viz Richard Butterfield, Edwin Merrall, James
Thomas and John Wright, John Wright sent in his refusal, in
consequence of which James Driver nominated William Greenwood
26th March 1852
Proposed by Richard Butterfield and seconded by James Thomas,
and agree to unanimously that Edwin Merrall be chairman of
the Haworth local Board of Health in the ensuing year.
That the clerk's salary for the present be £17
but that the salary be augmented at any time as the board
sees more of its business developing upon the Clerk.
30th March 1852
Unanimously agreed to, that Thomas Parker's salary as surveyor
of the Highways and Inspector of nuisance s, be £8 per
Proposed by William Turner, seconded by John
Hudson that the house in West Lane up steps near the White
Lion Inn, be rented for the office of the Haworth Local Board
Proposed by James Thomas and seconded by William
Roper and carried unanimously that the Clerk be ordered to
make out a General District Rate of one shilling in the pound
upon buildings and other property and according to the Public
Health Act of 1848, only three pence in the pound upon land,
and that it be proceeded with as early as possible.
11th May 1852
It was unanimously agreed, that notice be given in the Leeds
Mercury of this Board's intention to apply to one of her Majesty's
Principal Secretaries of State, for confirmation of certain
By-laws in reference to, common lodgings, houses, slaughter
houses, street cleansing.
30th June, 1852
That there Clerk be requested to write to the General Board
of Health, and asked if this Board has power to compel parties,
who are owners of spring's of water, or of lands for reservoirs
etc, to make proposals as to prices or arbitration within
any limited time.
It was also proposed and unanimously agreed
to, that printed notices be posted, requiring those rate payers
within this hamlet, who have not paid their General District
Rate, to do so within 14 days, otherwise legal means will
be instituted for the recovery thereof, without further notice
13th July 1852
That the Clerk write to Mr Joseph Hartley of Haworth and ask
for his consent in writing, to take the surplus of the two
springs of water rising in his Land near Sowdens, or to make
proposals, or name a person as arbitrator.
Mr Ranger, a Superintending Inspector was here, having been
all night in the village but there was nothing known of his
visit here before hand. After spending an hour with the board
in the office inspecting certain plans, answering various
questions and giving other information, he consented to go,
accompanied by the board, and view Stubbing Lane. On doing
so, he declared, that a certain portion of Oxenhope as far
as Stubbing Gate, ought to have been included in the district.
On returning to Haworth he was shown the two springs, the
proposed site of the Reservoir, Main and service pipes, viz.
21st September, 1852
It was finally settled and agreed upon, with Mr Rawson, that
not less than half an acre of land be purchased from the Emmotts'
Estates, for the site of the proposed Reservoir and a strip
12 feet wide from thence to the moor, for a cart road thereto
and the fence on one side.
The price of the land to be a two shillings per square yard
and that to include every other privilege connected therewith,
viz a perfect right to divert the two springs of water rising
near Sowdens from their original course (as far as Mr Emmott's
property is concerned) and convey the same to the proposed
Reservoir, and from thence to Haworth, but at the same time
those places, viz the Black Bull Inn, the C? Inn, and the
farm called near Hall, which now have a supply of water from
the said Springs, to be henceforth supplied therewith without
being subject to the payment of water rates.
22nd October 1852
The reports and the maps with the addition of part of Near
Oxenhope, were submitted to the meeting in order to mark out
the proposed boundary. When it was agreed that the chairman,
the clerk, J Thomas, John Brown And William Turner should
go over the ground on the following day and mark such boundary
line in the best way they can suggest.
12th January, 1853
The deputation appointed to see Mr Joseph Hartley, reported
that the bargain in reference to the water was now closed
on the following terms, one-hundred and seventy five pounds
to be the price of the water, the two springs rising in Sowdens
land, after giving him a supply in troughs at four different
places as specified; and also one shilling per square yard
for any land that may be required to enclose the spring's
at their head construct tanks etc.
1st February, 1853
Mr Ranger made his appearance at the vestry of the Church
to hold an inquiry in reference to adding a portion of Near
Oxenhope to the district. After opening his inquiry it was
found inexpedient to conduct it properly there and Mr Ranger
adjourned the meeting to the large room at the Black Ball
Inn at which place the above members of the board were present.
At the close of his inquiry, Mr Ranger accompanied by the
board and a large number of the inhabitants of Near Oxenhope
and others, perambulated the proposed addition to the district
adding to, and cutting off as he deemed proper by marking
up with his pencil on a large plant of the whole hamlet.
1st April 1853
Mr Ranger, Civil Engineer be applied to, and requested to
visit Haworth as early as possible, in order that the board
may secure his services as consulting engineer in reference
to carrying out the water supply, drainage, and other measures
within the district.
22nd April 1853
The moor land adjoining Haworth, as a place called Springs
or Enfield side at which spot he was shown a considerable
run of water. On returning from thence, he stated that he
could not give an opinion at present as to what ought to be
21st June 1853
Proposed that a large drain or main sewer be made at the bottom
end of Haworth, from near the Fleece Inn to the Tollgate,
to be paid for by a Special District Rate levied upon the
property on one side of the street.
22nd July, 1853
Ordered that the highway rate be only 10 pence in the pound.
Proposed that the water supply be had from the
moors near to, and on the opposite side to South Dean but
a little further up.
24th March 1854
The surveyor of highways brought in a bill for expenses incurred
on and burning a quantity of meat which had been deemed unfit
for human food, and for prosecuting the offender, who instead
of paying the fine and expenses, served three months in Wakefield
House of Correction.
21st April 1854
An attorney's letter had been received by the surveyor, ordered
by Messrs Heaton's of Ponden to stop the stone loading from
that neighbourhood. Proposed by Mr Thomas, seconded by W W
Greenwood and unanimously agreed to, that the surveyor be
instructed to proceed with the above Pont stone loading from
Ponden without any delay whatever.
14th July 1854
Proposed by Mr Butterfield seconded by Mr Ingham, unanimously
agreed to, that the re-setting of the portion of the street
at the bottom of the town where the main sewer was made, be
proceeded with immediately.
6th October 1854
A paper from the jury at the inquest of William Hardaker,
recommending the closing up of the throughway, in which he
was killed, was read, after a short discussion, it was proposed
by Mr Merrall, seconded by Mr Gregson unanimously agreed to,
that the throughway re Newell Hill be closed up immediately,
and paid out of the General District Rate.
6th March, 1855
The tenders for the different contracts belonging to a water
works were opened and examined. Tender for number one contract
earthenware pipe's accepted. For number two contract for laying
earthenware pipe's be accepted. For number three contract
including all work in that field and the road in field be
13th April 1855
It appears that it is becoming almost a general thing or practice
where water works are being constructed to have the pipe's
dipped in a certain liquid which it is believed will prevent
rust in the pipes, the cost is said to be 10/- per tonne.
Proposed by Mr Sugden, seconded by Mr Turner and agreed to
unanimously that the cast iron pipes be dipped as aforesaid.
Proposed by Mr Merrall, seconded by Mr Sugden
and agreed to unanimously, that the trenches for the earthen
ware pipes from the springs to the reservoir be puddled before
and after laying the pipes as specified.
4th May, 1855
Moved by Mr Sugden seconded by Merrell and unanimously agreed
to, that the steps at Butt Lane Top, be let to be done as
early as possible.
25th May 1855
Proposed by Mr Turner seconded by Mr Wright Greenwood, and
agreed to unanimously, that the Clerk draw up a notice and
have 50 copies printed, and posted from time to time at or
about the water works, to caution the public against trespassing
there on the Sabbath day.
15th June, 1855
Reverend A. B.Nicholls, treasurer of the Haworth, Oxenhope,
and Stanbury Church Sunday School Sick Society, with a loan
of £100. The document was signed and sealed and the
money paid - ordered to be deposited in the bank.
6th July, 1855
A letter had been received from Mr Brierley and was read,
in which he recommends that the board engage some competent
person who thoroughly understands puddling, the matter was
discussed after which, it was moved by Mr Sugden seconded
by Mr Merrall and agreed unanimously, that the Clerk be ordered
to write to Mr Edward Craven And request him to come over
to Haworth on Friday next, when the board might consult him
in reference to the puddle, and if it should be deemed expedient,
to engage him to inspect the same during its progress.
13th July, 1855
Mr Edward Craven was here, and gave his opinion as regards
the thickness of the puddle proposed for the reservoir, he
was asked on what terms he would come and inspect the puddling
as it proceeded. He stated that he could not engage such a
thing, unless he could have his own way, and that was to have
a puddle two feet thick throughout, instead of one foot six
27th July 1855
The clerk had received £150 from Mr Robert Sugden of
Vale Mill, who is trustee for the time been along with Mr
William Sugden of Belle Isle for the Lane ends Friendly Society.
5th October 1855
Mr Anthony Ward, was in attendance at the meeting this evening,
proposing to advance three or four hundred pounds at five
per cent per annum, one hundred of which he had brought with
him, the board agreed to take it, and gave a receipt for that
amount, Mr Ward promising to bring a further sum on the 24th
16th November, 1855
It was known that a suit had been entered in the County Court
against the Local Board of Health by James Pickles and Joshua
Ackroyd for payment of their account delivered some time ago,
which was refused by the board, some of the items having been
considered unreasonable. Proposed by Mr Sugden, seconded by
Mr Merrall and unanimously agreed to, that the action be defended
in the best way possible and that Mr Terry be employed as
23rd November, 1855
The Clerk Reported, that 12: 9: 6 had been paid into the County
Court in the matter of James Pickles and Co. A friend of his
came this morning, and offered to settle the affair for £2:
5: 0 after a short discussion, it was proposed by Mr Turner
seconded by Mr Greenwood and unanimously agreed to, that £2
be offered to settle all off - this proposal was agreed.
30th November, 1855
It was reported that Mr George Gregson was going to build
house and barn on the New Road side (Brow) without having
given notice thereof and deposited plans.
8th February, 1856
Proposed by Mr Turner, seconded by Mr Merrall and unanimously
agreed to, that the leaden pipe, up to Mr Bronte's be three-quarter
inch as far as the pump-and half-inch forwards.
proposed by Mr Turner seconded by Mr Sugden,
and agreed to unanimously, that Messrs Merrals note making
a charge of sixpence per yard, for 500 square yards of land
taken in widening the road up Lees Lane, be acknowledged as
right and entered here accordingly.
15th February, 1856
The surveyor reported that the channel in Bridgehouse Lane
was very much out of order and that he thought it would be
advisable to have a drain instead, after some discussion,
it was proposed by Mr Merrall seconded by Mr Turner and unanimously
agreed to, that the present channel be pulled up, and a proper
drain made in its place.
18th April 1856
Proposed by Mr Holmes, and seconded by Mr Wright, that 100
yards thereof in length, be sett, beginning at or near Mr
John Murgatroyds, and proceeding towards Duckingstool, that
there be a causeway on the east side, three-foot feet in breadth
including the kerb stones or edging, and that every stone
be well squared up previous to setting.
16th May, 1856
The Clerk reported that Greenwood refused to allow a stand
tap to be fixed on his premises in front of his house. Proposed
by Mr Thomas, seconded by a Mr Pighills and unanimously agreed
to, that the stand tap be placed in the line of edging as
near the point marked as possible.
25th July, 1856
There was something said by way of complaints about the wasting
of the water at different places, proposed by Mr Pighills,
seconded by Mr Lambert and agreed to unanimously, that notice
be given to the public in reference to fines and penalties
as expressed in the Public Health Act, 1848 and that 300 copies
be printed immediately.
22nd August, 1856
After some discussion in reference to the parties who refuse
to pay water rates, it was proposed by Mr Thomas seconded
by Mr Merrall and agreed to unanimously, that the Clerk be
ordered to write to the General Board of Health, and ask if
those parties who say they have a sufficient supply can be
compelled to pay water rates.
23rd September, 1856
Parker the surveyor had brought his report respecting nearly
all the parties refusing to pay water rates, about 46 in number.
Proposed by Mr Lambert seconded by Mr Sugden and agreed to
unanimously, that the proper notice requiring them to take
the water supply into their houses, be duly served upon the
parties above alluded to. Ordered that the Clerk write to
the General Board of Health, and ask, if the Local Board has
power to enter the premises or houses belonging to those parties,
and do such works as are necessary in order to give them a
compulsory supply of water.
October 17th, 1856
Thomas Parker the surveyor had received orders from the committee
at the meeting on Tuesday the 7th day of October instant to
put into the houses occupied by the following parties a compulsory
supply of water, viz
Mr John Redman Bridgehouse
Mr Abel Toothill Bridgehouse
Mr Thomas Raw Belleisle
Mr James Townend Mill Hey
Mr Thomas Murgatroyd Duckingstool
Mr Joshua Reddihough Stubbing Lane
Mr John Moore Hall
Mr Greenwood Mitchell Low Street
Parker had been assaulted, and also obstructed
on entering the premises occupied by Thomas Murgatroyd by
William Hartley the son of the owner, the Constable was fetched
who arrested Hartley, took him down to Keighley, and also
before a Magistrate who dismissed Hartley, understanding the
case to be one of disputed right, in which they had no jurisdiction.
Mr Hartley has now given a month's notice to the Local Board,
that he will cause a summons to be issued out of the County
Court of Yorkshire at Keighley for trespass and false imprisonment
committed by the said Thomas Parker and George Hopkins the
Constable. After a lengthy discussion it was moved by William
Greenwood and seconded by Mr Thomas that Parker be authorised
to summons Hartley before the magistrates, both for the assault
and for obstructing him in the performance of his duty. No
one voted against the motion, so it was unanimous.
24th October 1856
That a stand-tap be fixed in the Ginnel opposite Robert Browns.
That another stand tap be fixed at Mill Hey, near to the Primitive
14th November, 1856
Proposed by Mr Sugden, seconded by Mr W. W. Greenwood and
agreed to unanimously, that in accordance with a notice which
had been duly given, a Special District Rate, at ten pence
in the pound, be levied upon the owners of the property on
both sides of Stubbing Lane, from the Ducking stool to Folly
Field Top, including both as inserted therein, to defray the
expenses incurred in the construction of the main sewer in
that part of the district.
18th November, 1856
A letter had been received from the General Board of Health,
having enclosed therein a copy of the memorial to that Board,
from Mr Joseph Hartley for any observations the Haworth Local
Board of Health might desire to make thereon, this memorial
is in reference to the water pipes which have been put into
a house belonging to him, by order of the local Board.
After some discussion, it was proposed by Mr Merrall, seconded
by Mr W. W. Greenwood and unanimously agreed to the following
be sent to the General Board of Health- viz.
"That Mr Joseph Hartley has land in which
there may be springs of water that rise in other person's
land above and that run through his, and also through other
people's land below before coming near the house occupied
by Thomas Murgatroyd. but they are in common stone, and open
drains-and subject to be fouled by the manure from the surface
of those lands by nearly every heavy shower of rain, and when
there is a whole day of continued rain, the dyke channel or
watercourse is filled with a mixture of mud, manure, and water,
and therefore considered by the local Board and their surveyor
not fit for any purpose whatever except for irrigation in
the lands below.
The well alluded to, as been only 12 yards from Murgatroyds
House door, is a stone trough placed in the waste land, and
in the course of the water above described, within a period
of 18 months, and long since the establishment of the Local
The water belonging to the local Board, was spoken of by Mr
Babbage in his report, as being extremely pure and soft, and
as to its being spoiled by passing through the iron pipes,
is certainly a false statement, and will evidently appear
so, when it is stated (which is a fact,) that the pipes were
all dipped previous to being laid, and that the distance from
the reservoir to Murgatroyd's House, is only about 1100 yards.
That the Board are unanimous in their opinion, that the surveyors
report, in reference to the premises occupied by Murgatroyd
20th March 1857
It had been deemed absolutely necessary, that something should
now be done to the reservoir in order, if possible to make
the same complete.
Thomas Bailey of Cross Roads had been applied to, he had viewed
the premises, and his proposal was, to work himself at 4/0
per day, and be assisted by two or three other hands, and
would take out the puddle together with all loose earth and
stones, to any depth that might be considered advisable and
repuddle the whole and render the same complete, the other
men to be paid by the day, and such sum as is usually paid
to those men. Bailey further proposed to be entitled to £5
in addition to his day's wages, at the end of three months
after the reservoir has been so long complete
16th June, 1857
A deputation from the Haworth Gas Company waited upon the
Board, to obtain leave from that body, to open up the roads
and streets the necessary trenches in order to lay down the
iron mains, cross pipes or service pipes and other apparatus
for their gas works. Agreed unanimously that the privilege
now asked for be granted on these conditions, viz. That no
trench on the highways or in streets be allowed to remain
open an unreasonable time, that the road metal, setts, flags
or whatever else is removed, shall be replaced in a proper
manner, and everything restored to its former state, to the
entire satisfaction of the local Board or their surveyor.
15th September, 1857
The main object of meeting to consider what it is to be done
to the reservoir in order if possible to stop the leak.
After viewing the south end thereof and discussing the matter
at some length, it was unanimously agreed to, that a portion
of the puddle be taken out to the very bottom, to the broken
stones, and replaced with blue clay from the west end of Pennistone
and wrought together in the best possible way.
22nd September 1857
The men had done to the reservoir what was ordered, but without
an effectual cure, it being still leaky. It was now ordered
and agreed to unanimously that further trial be made, by minutely
examining the bottom, taking up portions of the flags, and
if deemed proper, by taking out another portion of the out
20th October 1857
Some statements were here brought forward in reference to
the reservoir. The general opinion was, that the only safe
way to proceed, was to have the whole taken up and the reservoir
reconstructed, it was moved by Mr Turner seconded by Mr Lambert
and unanimously agreed to, that advertisements for the letting
by ticket of the above work be printed. That estimates be
received on or before next meeting, 3rd November and that
two inch cast-iron pipes be ordered immediately, to connect
the inlet and outlet pipes at the reservoir.
3rd November, 1857
Estimates or tenders for the reconstruction of the reservoir
was now open, from three different parties as follows, viz.
Bailey's and Co £158:0:0
John Gregson £140:0:0
William Turner £115:0:0
It was seen, that Mr Turner's estimate was considerably the
lowest, he had previously tended his resignation as member
of the Board and retired from the room, consequently he was
called in to be told, that it was unanimously agreed that
he should be the contractor at the net sum of £115:0:0
according to his estimates. He forthwith signed the specification
or contract, which was also signed by every member present
and the seal of the board was attached.
18th May, 1858
Mr William Turner the contractor for the reconstruction of
the reservoir has so far completed work, and the reservoir
being full of water, that he now solicits the board to allow
the 12 months or one year to commence from the present date,
viz. Interest on the amount at five per cent per annum and
the payment of the principal sum at the expiration of such
a term if no deficiency is found in that period as mentioned
in the contract.
27th July, 1858
Mr Turner was here stating that the water in the reservoir
was fast going down, and partly owing to waste at various
taps and fire plugs, therefore it was necessary that something
should be done to prevent it as far as possible. The board
deemed it advisable and Mr Turner engaged to turn the water
off at the reservoir at four in the afternoon and turn it
on again at six in the morning.
22nd October 1850
There was now some discussion in reference to the removal
of the toll-gates or toll-bars as there is a proviso in the
Local Government Act, which gives the Local Board the power
to remove certain toll-bars by agreement with the trustees
of any Turnpike road within the district.
2nd November, 1858
There was now some further discussion in reference to the
removal of the toll-bars, after which it was unanimously agreed
upon, that the Clerk should write to the principle Secretary
of State for the Home Department and state certain facts,
viz. The roads being free from debt, 10 bars in 11 miles with
Haworth near the centre of them. One at each end of the town.
Six miles in Keighley Parish without a bar. More than one
half of the tolls taken at Haworth. Nothing received from
the trustees during the last 20 years.
11th January, 1859
The deputation would make another effort to remove the whole
of the Bars or Toll-gates on the line of road at the end of
the present letting. If not able to succeed in the above,,
they were unanimous in saying that something ought to be done
for Haworth. It was now suggested, that as the commissioners
had money in hand, and had made a grant for Ponden Bridge,
if their attention was drawn to the Bridgehouse Bridge, by
submitting a plan an estimate for widening and improving the
same they might probably make a grant for that purpose.
12th April, 1859
The meeting is convened in consequence of the Clerk having
been served with a County Court summons from Mr Robert Murgatroyd,
the late surveyor and Inspector of nuisances for the sum of
£6.10.0 alleging to be for miscellaneous work and labour
done by him for the Local Board. The Local Board is astonished
at such a proceeding, and cannot entertain any claim whatever,
in as much as they did, on the 22nd day of February last,
vote him £15 as his salary in full, and that amount
had been received by him. Therefore it was unanimously agreed
to, that the case be defended. It is moved by Mr Merrall,
seconded by Mr Barraclough and unanimously agreed to, that
Mr Lambert, Mr Wright and Mr Greenwood requested to attend
at the County Court on the date of trial.
17th May 1859
Mr Turner, who had been the contractor for the reconstruction
of the reservoir, came to see if the Board would go and view
the premises, as the day following would be the expiration
of the 12 months upholding. The Board did go view that work,
and believing it all to be right, ordered him to bring in
his Bill for his contract and interest thereon.
Mr William Turner West Lane, Haworth be appointed
the Office of surveyor and Inspector of nuisances including,
looking after the reservoir, water works and water supply,
at a salary of £10 per annum.
5th July, 1859
This meeting especially called or convened for the purpose
of taking into consideration the proprietary of giving notice
to the trustees of the Toller-lane and Blue Bell Turnpike
Road, signifying the intentions of the Board in reference
to the removal of Told Bars. After some discussion thereon,
it was proposed by Mr Roper seconded by Mr Lambert and unanimously
agreed to, that the notice be prepared and a copy thereof
delivered to John Brigg Esquire stating the Board's intention
wish and desire to avail themselves of the provisions of the
41st section of the Local Government Act 1858 which gives
power to this Board by agreement with the said Trustees, to
remove the Turnpike gates or Toll bars within their district.
23rd August, 1859
The surveyor produced a letter received by him from the clerk
to the trustees of The Toller Lane and Blue Bell Turnpike
road, of which the following is a copy,
"Bingley 20th August 1859 Toller Lane and Haworth Turnpike
Sir, I have to inform you, that the trustees on the 17th Inst
made an order to authorise you to expend the sum of £41.l.9
3/4 before the first day of January next in repairs upon the
surface above Turnpike Road within your district, which amount
will be paid to you in the above month in case their surveyor
shall certify to their satisfaction that you have complied
with their order. I am your obedient servant Fr. Butterfield
Clerk to the said Trustees
29th November, 1859
It was now generally known though with much concern, that
the reservoir was again deficient and the water escaping.
It was reported, that it had gone down about 14 courses, and
seemingly standing at about seven from the bottom, and the
general opinion of the board was, that something ought to
be done immediately, in order to ascertain if possible, where
and what was the nature and cause of such escape, when it
was proposed by Mr Greenwood of Oxenhope, seconded by Mr Lambert
and unanimously agreed to, that Mr Turner be ordered to open
the manhole near the south end, over the Bye wash, and to
do what he may deem necessary in trying to find out the leakage
and if practical, to take steps to remedy the defect by opening
the ground elsewhere, or by removing the puddle, but may report
to the board at any time.
19th June, 1860
Certain movements had been made by Mr Francis Butterfield
Clerk to the commissioner of the Turnpike roads from the Toller
Lane to the Blue Bell, and some other parties, in opposition
to the anticipated removal of the Toll bars, that a memorial
has been sent to the Secretary of State praying for their
countenance and that a meeting of the commissionaires was
going to be held tomorrow at the Devonshire Arms Hotel, Keighley
in reference thereto.
After discussing the matter with some alarm, it was proposed
by Mr Holmes seconded by Mr Sutcliffe and unanimously agreed
to, that a deputation be appointed to wait upon the commissionaires
at their meeting to express the Board's strong denunciation
of such proceedings, and also their great disappointment,
if any opposition was likely to be effectual in causing any
further countenance of the said bars,.
Incase the Toll Bars are not removed this year, that the Board
exercise their powers by agreement with the commissionaires
as given by the local government Act 1858 to remove the Toll
bars from the village of Haworth to any locality within the
limits specified in the act.
7th August, 1860
Mr Merrall proposed, seconded by Mr Garnett, and unanimously
agreed to, that a vote of thanks be given by this Board to
Richard Butterfield Esquire the chairman, and William Greenwood
Esquire one of its members, for their unabating excursions,
loss of time, and expenses by repeatedly attending meetings
at Keighley, and waiting upon the Home Secretary in London
for the purpose of accomplishing the removal of the Toll Bars
on the Toller Lane and Blue Bell Turnpike Road, and opposing
a continuation of the said Turnpike Act.
2nd October 1860
A certain party came to the board to ask for the privilege
to get stones at the Dimples Top for the enlargement of the
Wesleyan schools West Lane by paying for such privilege.
9th October 1860
This special meeting of the Board is convened to consider
the proprietary of purchasing the Haworth Toll Bar House and
the Gates at both places, as they are advertised to be sold
together with certain portions of the sites, the building
to be removed. It was deemed very desirable that the board
should purchase the same, in order that the road might be
widened and improved as much as possible at that place.
19th October 1860
Proposed by Mr Garnett seconded by Mr Sutcliffe and agreed
to unanimously, that the Toll Bar House or all the materials
thereof, be advertised to be sold by tender at the office,
on Friday the 26th instant at 7 o'clock in the evening.
There was much complaining in reference to the
surveyor as not obeying the directions of the board, that
he appeared to them to be so fully engaged with the business
of other parties that he does not attend properly to the duties
of surveyor and Inspector of nuisances as he ought to do.
Therefore it was proposed by Mr Holmes seconded by Mr Wright
and agreed to unanimously (with the exception of Mr Merrall)
John Murgatroyd the surveyor be required to resign and give
up his office as surveyor and Inspector of nuisances.
26th October 1860
In compliance with the resolution passed at the meeting aforesaid,
it had been advertised that the Toll Bar House, would be sold
by tender at the office receiving. The sum of £10.5.0
was offered for the house aforesaid, by Mr Geo. Hartley or
11th December 1860
A note had been sent to the Local Board by Mr Nicholls, calling
their attention to, and complaining of the state of the footpath
between Parsonage Lane and Moor End and stating, that if the
surveyor does not immediately effect the necessary repairs,
he shall cause legal proceedings to be taken against him.
It was stated, that Mr Thomas Philip, Inn keeper
and Butcher residing at the Fleece Inn, within the district
of the Haworth Local Board of Health, was anxious and wishful
to be allowed to use a certain building (near to and adjoining
the barn and premises occupied by him) as a slaughter house,
and to slaughter cattle therein, subject to the By-laws and
regulations of the said Local Board of Health in preference
thereto. It was proposed seconded and unanimously agreed to,
that the said Thomas Philip be allowed to use the premises
referred to, as a slaughter house, and that a licence be granted