Haworth

Home Contributors Contact Links Wallpaper Search
 News
 Local Community
 Annual Events
 Out and About
 Local History
 Nature
 The Brontes
 Steam Railway
 360° Panoramas
 Tourist Information

Haworth History
Past & Present Pictures
Haworth Maps 1852
Haworth Schools History
Stanbury School History

History Pictures
Haworth
Oxenhope
Cross Rds
Stanbury


Haworth History - Haworth Urban District Council 1901 - 1910


Haworth Local Board of Health

Haworth Urban District Council 1901 - 1910

 

1901

1st January, 1901
That the following grants of right of burial be duly signed and sealed namely. Edward Bartholomew number 174 section B Edward Wm Hodgson number 154 section D

A letter was read from the local Government Board with respect to arsenic in beer. Mr Clapham moved a Mr Rushworth seconded that the sanitary inspector make inquiries.

23rd January, 1901
Owing to the lamented death of Her Gracious Majesty Queen Victoria the chairman immediately upon the assemblage of the meeting, moved that a message of condolence be sent to the Royal Family and as a mark of respect the meeting be adjourned until 8-15 on the 28th instant. The motion was seconded by Mr John Hartley and unanimously passed in silence.

27th January 1901
On Saturday the second day of February 1901, at the request of the chairman of the council the members herein after named of the Council accompanied by the Volunteer Rifle Brigade, the Haworth Brass Band and other public bodies attended a Service at the Parish Church of Haworth in memory of our late lamented Queen Victoria. After the service in the Church the chairman read the proclamation proclaiming the new sovereign in the following words:

Whereas it has pleased Almighty God to call to his mercy our late sovereign lady Queen Victoria of blessed and glorious memory by whose decease the imperial crown of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland is solely and rightfully come to the High and Mighty Prince Albert Edward. We therefore, the Lords spiritual and temporal of this realm being here assisted with those of her late Majesty's Privy Council with numbers of other principal j gentlemen of quality with the Lord Mayor, Alderman and citizens of London do now, hereby, with one voice and consent of tongue and heart, publish and proclaim that the high and mighty Prince Albert Edward is now by the death of our late sovereign of happy memory, become our only lawful and rightful Liege Lord, Edward the Seventh, by the grace of God, King, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, Defender of the Faith, Emperor of India, to whom we do acknowledge all faith and constant obedience, with all hearty and humble affection, beseeching God, by whom Kings and Queens do reign, to bless the Royal Prince, Edward the Seventh, with long and happy years to reign over us.

Given at the Court of St James's, this 23rd day of January in the year of our Lord one thousand and nine hundred and one. God Save the King.

5th February 1901
That the following plans be approved namely:- Two houses proposed to be built in Mytholmes Lane for Mrs E Shackleton, and amended plan of two wash kitchens at Greenfields for Mr J H Pickles.

For the permission be granted to the National Telephone company to erect 15 telephone poles on the council's highway from West Lane to Sladen Bridge.

A representative from this Council to meet along with representatives of other local authorities certain directors of the Yorkshire Electric Power company at Bradford on Wednesday next to hear their explanations of the bill about to be promoted by them.

That the following grants of right of burial be duly signed and sealed namely. David Kay section D number 61 Sarah Jane Binns section D number 355 William Schofield section B No. 217.

5th March, 1901
That the following grants of right of burial be duly signed and sealed namely. Abraham Mitchell section D number 63 Nicholas Smith section B number 239 Aliza Crossley section B No. 43.

2nd April, 1901
That the plan of proposed cooler for Messrs Ogden and company, Fallwood Brewery be approved.

That the following grants of right of burial be duly signed and sealed namely. J Wm Bradley section D number 152 George Orange section B No. 53 Sarah Terry section B number 170.

That the council accept the invitation of the Gala Committee to join in the procession to take place on the 8th June next.

7th May, 1901
That the following applications for water for domestic purposes be granted on the usual conditions viz:- For Mrs Shackleton two houses Mytholmes Lane S Binns, for Mr James Bottomley four houses at Greenfield.

That the following grants of right of burial be duly signed and sealed viz:-
John Nutter grave number 54 section D. Edward Wills grave number 248 section B. Hartley Wallbank grave number 113 section B Hiram Craven grave number 272 section B. Mary Jane Webster grave number 141 section D. Alfred E Hall grave number 65 section D.

4th June, 1901
That the surveyor be directed to give attention to all cases of excessive weights carried along the highways in the District, with special reference to waggons carrying more than one block of stone and if he thinks necessary so to do, to have waggon and contents weighed and report to this committee.

That the following applications for gas be granted viz:- Brigg Lambert, two houses, Greenfield for J H Pickles, T Lambert and son, two houses, Mytholmes Lane for Mrs Shackleton, S Binns four houses Greenfield for Mr James Bottomley.

2nd July, 1901
That the following plans be approved viz:- building land, Haworth Road, Lees, for Haworth School Board.

That the following grant of right of burial be duly signed and sealed namely:-Edwin Mann number 55 section B and Wm Edmondson number of 159 section D.

3rd September, 1901
That the plan of urinal proposed to be built in Victoria Road at an estimated cost of £24 be approved.

That legal proceedings be instituted against five boys for trespassing on the sewage farm viz:-Hector Watts, 137 Bocking, Arthur Feather, 10 Oakworth View, Crossroads. Luther McKechnie, 4 Garden Street, Albert Binns, 14 Cross Roads, and William Greenbank 45 Lees.

That the grant of right for grave numbered 190 section B in favour of Frederick Greenroyd be signed and sealed.

5th November 1901
That the law Clerk write the West Riding County Council with respect to the enclosure by Mr Tempest of the piece of waste land adjoining the Toller Lane and Blue Bell Main Road at Rough Nook Haworth and asking whether the County Council will take proceedings so that the right of the public to the use and enjoyment of the road side waste may be asserted.

1902

7th January, 1902
That this Council write to the Midland Railway company, asking that the train due from Haworth to Keighley at 8 - 8 am arrive at Keighley before 8 am.

7th April, 1902
That the Clerk be instructed to write to the Lord of the Manor drawing his attention to the many complaints which the council receive from its inhabitants and strangers visiting the town respecting the unsightliness caused by the promiscuous tipping of rubbish etc on the moor and ask him to take such steps as will overcome the matter complained of.

22nd April, 1902
It was unanimously resolved that the members of this council take part in the Gala to be held on the 14th June, 1902.

It was unanimously resolved that a circular be sent to the School Board, Sunday Schools, Friendly Societies, Co-operative Societies, Clubs and other bodies in the District, requiring them to appoint representatives to attend a meeting to be held in the co-operative Hall, Main Street, Haworth on Saturday afternoon May 3rd at 9 o'clock for the purpose of the consideration of the celebration of the Coronation of his Majesty King Edward VII to decide what steps shall be taken in connection therewith.

3rd June, 1902
That this council desires to express its approval and support of the petition presented to the Board of Trade in favour of the reduction of the price of workmen's tickets between Haworth and Keighley.

The chairman said that no doubt the members of the council would have heard with great pleasure that peace had at last been proclaimed in his Majesty's Dominions and he hoped the council would be pleased to express their general approval and acclamation of the fact. Thereupon Mr Hirst moved and Mr Wood seconded that this council desires to express its great satisfaction and thankfulness that peace has been proclaimed in South Africa and we trust that the whole of South Africa will now begin to enjoy prosperity and liberty and that all his Majesty's subjects in that country will share therein.

5th August 1902
The Clerk produced a letter from Mr Carnegie saying he would provide £1,500 to erect a free public library building for Haworth on conditions (a) that a sum is collected sufficient to endow the library to the extent of £27 a year, making the assured revenue £100 a year, and (b) that a site is furnished which shall not be a burden on the library rate.

A deputation waited upon this meeting asking that the council would agree to the amount at present standing to the credit of the Free Library account being invested for the purpose of providing an endowment for the maintenance of a Free Library. It was resolved that the council express themselves as being favourable to the request but before passing a definite resolution on the question they desire to receive the recommendation of the Free Library Committee as to where the site for the proposed Library Shall be.

2nd September, 1902
That the plot of land immediately below the house of the caretaker of the Board schools in Butt Lane be the site selected for the proposed Library. The motion was voted for and lost.

Mr Mitchell moved and Mr Gott seconded that the matter be referred back to the Free Libraries Committee with a recommendation that Messrs Merralls' site be accepted as the majority of the council are in favour of it.

That the sub-Committee appointed to purchase the land required for sewage disposal works, from the Duke of Devonshire, be empowered to sign the cheque for the amount of the purchase money on completion.

10th September, 1902
That Messrs W B Woodhead and sons and the clerk to the council be instructed to take all necessary steps for having prepared, working drawings, and specifications, bills and quantities and obtain tenders required in carrying out the work of sewering the district as per the scheme prepared by the council's engineers and sanctioned by the Local Government Board.

7th October, 1902
Mr Ogden moved a Mr Hirst seconded that the council be recommended to accept the offer of Captain Emmott of a plot of land in Butt Lane for a Free Library site. As an amendment Mr Midgley moved and Mr Doughty seconded that the offer of Messrs Merrall of a plot of land at Ebor Lane Top for a Free Library site be accepted. For the motion there voted Messrs Ogden, Hirst, Wood and Holdsworth. Against the motion there voted Messrs Midgley, Gott, Mitchell, Doughty, Bancroft and Heaton. the motion was therefore lost. For the amendment there voted Messrs Gott, Mitchell, Midgley, Bancroft, Doughty, Greenwood and Heaton. Against the amendment there voted Messrs Ogden, Hirst, Ward, Holdsworth and Hartley. The amendment was therefore carried.

Mr Holdsworth moved and Mr Hirst seconded that a plot of land in Belle Isle Road be purchased from Captain Emmott for the Free Library site provided the terms are satisfactory and sufficient funds could be obtained. For the motion their voted Messrs Holdsworth, Hirst, Ward, Ogden and Hartley. Against there voted Messrs Midgley, Heaton, Greenwood, Doughty, Bancroft, Mitchell and Gott. The motion was therefore lost.

4th November, 1902
That the Clerk write to the Midland Railway company asking them to put on the following additional trains on weekdays namely:- one to arrive at 10.30 in the morning, one to arrive at 3.30 in the afternoon and one to leave at 9.15 in the evening.

22nd November, 1902
That the Clerk be instructed to write to the secretary of the Haworth Conservative Club asking if they are willing to sell their club premises in Mill Hey for Free Library purposes.

That a plot of land on the East side of Belle Isle Road be purchased from Captain Emmott for a depot at 3/- per yard on condition that the owner includes in the sale the plot adjoining the property owned by Mr William Brown at the south end of the plot.

2nd December, 1902
It was resolved that letters of condolence be sent to Mrs Sladden on the death of her husband and to Mr Barwick Midgley on the death of his wife.

It was unanimously resolved that the gas lamps in the Council's district be lit all night on Christmas Eve.

1903


6th January, 1903
That the following plans be approved, 11 houses in Prince Street and Ouse St for Mr Samuel Ogden.

17th January, 1903
It was unanimously resolved that tenders be invited for the tenancy of the land purchased from the Duke of Devonshire about eight acres and Messrs J & H Wright about four acres, separately or jointly. If let together that a bridge be put across the river giving access to land on the north side of the stream.

3rd February, 1903
That the resolution adopting the Ebor Lane site for the erection of Free Library building be rescinded. The motion was voted and lost.

3rd March, 1903
Messrs C Lambert and Sons for gas to New Sunday-school Haworth Church.

That the law Clerk be instructed to take all necessary proceedings for the removal of a carcass of a cow belonging to Edwin Lightfoot of Lees Farm and that if proceedings are necessary the same be commenced at once.

7th April, 1903
That this council protest against the passing of the Local Government (Transfer of powers) Bill 1903 as unnecessary and undesirable and as tending to place further control in the hands of the County Council's and urges that an opportunity should be given the Urban District Councils to state their objections to the Bill.

5th May 1903
The Clerk read a letter inviting the members of the council to attend the Friendly Society and Tradesmens Gala Procession on the 13th June next.

5th June, 1903
Mr Ackroyd moved and Mr Holdsworth seconded that the resolution of the council passed on the 7th October, 1902 to the effect "that the offer of Messrs Merrall of a plot of land at Ebor Lane Top for a Free Library site be accepted" be rescinded. Voted on, the motion was therefore carried.

7th July 1903
That during the time the Main Street is closed for laying new sewer that the council pay the tolls of traffic diverted by way of Mytholmes Lane.

1st September, 1903
That instructions be given to the engineers to prepare plans and specifications and submit a tender or tenders for a new line of sewer from the manhole in the river bed near the bridge at Vale Mill along the river bed, across Messrs Hattersley's land to Mytholmes Mill. That the engineers be instructed to alter the line of sewer from Mytholmes Lane to the present sewer near Blenkinson's farm buildings at Vale Mill instead of the intended deep drain at Mytholmes bar to Mytholmes Mill. That the steel pipes be carried over the river on pillars behind Ebor Mills, instead of under the river bed as previously planned, in consequence of the line of pipes coming in contact with Messrs Sugdens goit.

6th October, 1903
That seven days notice be given to Wm Edmondson, 165 Well Street, to cleanse his house and bedding.

That the plans submitted of the proposed Free Library buildings in Belle Isle Road be approved with the exception of a portion of the basement plan.

That the propose petitioned be forwarded to Mr Carnegie by the Free Library Committee in any way they may deem advisable to achieve such objects are as they may think proper.

3rd November, 1903
That the draft by-laws for preventing of nuisances arising from snow, filth, dust, ashes and rubbish and for the prevention of keeping of animals on any premises so as to be injurious to health be adopted.

That the Clerk be instructed to fill up forms received from the County Council respecting motor cars on Highways in Haworth district as follows viz:- all roads to be restricted to 10 miles an hour with the exception of Lees and Hebden Road main Road where the speed shall not be more than 12 miles an hour. That Danger Posts be fixed at Cragg Bottom (near Soap works) Cross Roads; Lees and Hebden Bridge main Road (near Bankfield House); Hall Green; Top of North Street; Rough Nook; Brow Top and Side Bar.

That the Public lamps in the Council's district be kept lit all night from the 12th November, 1903 to 11th February, 1904 except Saturday nights when they shall be put out at 12 o'clock and that the putting out of lights be commenced at 6.30 in the morning.

The chairman of the Free Libraries Committee reported that Captain Emmott had generously offered the land in Belle Isle Road for a Free Library site for the sum of £100.

The committee had had an interview with Captain Emmott with respect to the widening of Mytholmes Lane and informed the council that Captain Emmott had generously offered to give certain lands for such widening.

That the surveyor to the council be instructed to obtain plans and set out land for the widening of West Lane from the Sun Inn until it runs out 12 yards wide and obtaining tenders for the building of the wall.

1st December, 1903
That this committee be empowered to purchase 2000 yards of setts and 1000 yards of pavers and to let the getting of a similar quantity of each from Lees Moor and 500 yards of kerbing.

That the sewer be laid along Mill Hey from the bridge near the station to the Primitive Methodist Chapel.

That the ground necessary for the erection of Free Library Building and caretaker's house be set apart for Free Libraries purposes from land belonging to the council in Belle Isle Road.

That proceedings be taken against George Herbert Stony for having wilfully and fraudulently prevented a certain meter from duly registering the quantity of gas supplied by this council.

1904

5th January, 1904
The Clerk reported the receipt of a letter from the county surveyor calling the attention of the council to the state of Main Street, caused by the paving having subsided, leaving depression of the surface of the Road way.

The Clerk produced a communication from the West Riding County Council with respect to the new bye-law prohibiting spitting in public places. Mr Ackroyd moved and Mr James Greenwood seconded that the bye-law be exhibited on the council's notice board.

2nd February 1904
That the sewer be continued in Mytholmes Lane at an even gradient from the Bar House to Greenfield but pending further negotiations re Mytholmes Lane improvement, pursuer to be laid only to the extent of Messrs Merrall's land near to Cravenroyd. That the Mytholmes Lane improvement Committee be empowered to make the best terms for continuing the sewer across Captain Emmotts land from Messrs Merrall's land adjoining Cravenroyd to Greenfield Lane end.

That the plan presented by the engineers showing the proposed straightening of the river and three new filtration beds at the Damems sewage farm be approved.

1st March, 1904
That notice be sent to Mr Samuel Ogden, under section 75 of the Towns Improvement Clauses Act to pull down the house numbered 96 Main Street Haworth.

A petition was presented from certain owners and occupiers in Mytholmes Lane asking that such Lane be put into a satisfactory state of repair as soon as possible.

That the clerk of works together with the sanitary inspector be instructed to get out particulars with respect to the sewering of South view.

29th March, 1904
It was resolved that the Mytholmes Lane sub-Committee be empowered to settle with Captain Emmott for the widening of Mytholmes Lane from Mytholmes Bar to Greenfield Lane End as per plan prepared by Messrs B Hopkinson and company.

7th June 1904
The committee looking into careful consideration under the advice of the law Clerk, the question of connecting private properties with a new main sewer, when it was recommended that the connection of each property be considered on its merits, and that the sub-committee consisting of four members be appointed for that purpose and in addition for house connections and branch sewers.

5th July, 1904
The Clerk read a letter from the Hermit Hole Association Football Club asking if the council would let the field behind Damems mill as a football field. It was resolved that the Clerk write in reply that the council are not open to let the field at present.

6th September, 1904
That the following plans be approved. 23 cottages in Regent Street Haworth for Mr James Bottomley. New road 12 yards wide to be called Rawdon Road for Mr W E J Green-Emmott.

That the plans submitted by Messrs B Hopkinson and company for buildings propose to be erected in connection with extensions of gasworks be approved and that tenders be invited for carrying out the said work.

The Clerk reported having received from the Clerk to the West Riding Rivers Board a copy of draft of Bill to make further provisions for preventing pollution of rivers and streams in the West Riding of Yorkshire and for other purposes.

That the application of Mr W Wright for water for four houses in Stone Street be granted on the usual terms.

4th October, 1904
That the draft declaration of trust between the trustees of the Haworth Mechanics Institute and the Haworth Urban District Council of surplus monies of the Mechanics Institute for the maintenance of a library under the Public Libraries Act subject to conditions mentioned therein be approved subject to time mentioned for directing and opening the said Library be not stated to be earlier than Marsh 31st 1907.

1st November, 1904
The Clerk reported having received a letter from Messrs Wright & Wright stating that the Haworth Mechanics Institute Trustees had passed a resolution, stating that they cannot see their way to grant an extension of the time limit for the building of the Free Library from March 31st, 1906 to March 31st, 1907, but if on March 31st 1906 the erection of the Free Library should be in a forward state, a reasonable extension of time would probably be granted as decided by a majority of Trustees in meeting assembled.

6th December, 1904
The Clerk reported having received a communication from the County Council drawing the attention of the council to the fact that the time of year has now arrived when it is necessary that all trees and hedges overhanging the main roads, should be lopped and otherwise dressed. It was resolved that the surveyor be instructed to supply the Clerk with the names of all parties having trees overhanging the Highways in the council's district requiring lopping.

1905

3rd January, 1905
That connections from main sewer to the council's property in Mill Hey be carried out forthwith by the surveyor, and that the Inspector of buildings be instructed to proceed with the connection of all other properties in Mill Hey.

The Clerk read a communications which he had received enclosing a copy of resolution passed by the trustees of the mechanics Institute as follows "that if the foundation stone be laid and the ground floor is on and the contracts for building let and signed on the 31st March, 1906 that we agree to 31st March 1907 for completion and that this resolution be embodied in the trust deed."

That the plan submitted by the Shepherds on the Mount Lodge of two houses and club room proposed to be built at Belle Isle Road be disapproved on the ground that the gradient of the streets and abutting on Belle Isle Road is too steep.

A letter dated 13th December, 1904 was read from the Rector and Church wardens of Haworth drawing the attention of the council to the erection of a ventilating pillar at the top of Haworth, requesting its removal during the present week. It was resolved that the Clerk reply stating that the matter would receive the consideration of the council.

7th February, 1905
That the application of the Bridgehouse Wesleyan Chapel Trustees for a supply of water for motor for blowing new organ, be granted on the usual terms.

The Clerk reported to the council that Samuel Ogden had upon information laid by the council's building inspector been convicted by the Keighley Justices on 27th January last of the offence of continuing his building in Ouse Street in breach of the council's regulations and fined a penalty of 10/-per day for three days namely the 19th 20th and 21st July last and costs, and that the building was still continued in the same state. The building inspector or Clerk are hereby authorised on behalf of the council to take such action or proceedings either for continuing penalties or for pulling down the building and recovering the expenses thereof or any other step, action or legal proceedings which the sub-Committee may from time to time determined upon.

7th March, 1905
That the solicitor to the council be instructed to respectfully ask Mr Ogden to pull down and remove so much of the building in Ouse Street as is erected beyond the building line, and that he be given 10 days in which to do work, otherwise the council will be compelled to pull the same down themselves.

2nd May, 1905
That an advertisement be inserted in the local newspapers this week end stating that the council are prepared to let the land between the Worth Valley Railway and the River course on the Haworth Sewage farm and lately purchased from his Grace the Duke of Devonshire.

6th June, 1905
It was very heartily and unanimously agreed that a vote of thanks be given to the chairman for his invitation to join him to tea and entertainment on the occasion of the Gala Procession last Saturday when at his invitation about 110 old people over 70 years of age were conveyed round the district and provided with tea followed by an entertainment.

4th July 1905
That 14 days' notice be given to John Kilby, 31 Main Street, Haworth under section 91 of the Public Health Act, 1875 to abate nuisance caused by overcrowding.

It was unanimously resolved that a letter be written to the Postmaster at Keighley pointing out that the inhabitants of Lord Lane have only one delivery of letters per day and suggest the desirability of that district having granted to it facilities equal to other parts of the council's district.

5th September, 1905
Mr William Edmondson to abate nuisance at number 165 Well Street arising from the living room floor, walls and ceiling and bed and bedding being in such a filthy condition as to be injurious to health.

Mr Alfred Pickles to abate nuisance at number 20 Oakworth View arising from a gully abutting on the footpath behind the house requiring cleansing of all solid matter so as to prevent solid matter and liquid sewage percolating on the footpath.

The Clerk reported that he had received a communication from the general manager of the Midland Railway company in reply to resolution passed by the council at their last meeting with reference to train service stating that the manager is hopeful that when the train service for the winter is definitely decided upon the company will be able to give effect to the wishes of the council for the 9:20pm train from Oxenhope to Keighley on Saturdays be run daily.

3rd October, 1905
That the council as the library authority for the Haworth Urban District apply to the Local Government Board for their sanction to appropriate for Free Library purposes a certain plot of land which is rested in the council.

The chairman drew attention to the fact that the Midland Railway company had in their timetable of trains for the winter service put on a train from Oxenhope at 9:15pm but had ceased to run the 10:27pm. It was unanimously resolved that the Clerk communicate with the manager of the company expressing satisfaction that the 9:15pm had been arranged but that great dissatisfaction was expressed on all hands that the 10:27pm had not been continued. That the council consider that very great inconvenience will be caused to the district as the arrangement practically results in the complete isolation of the Worth Valley from Keighley after 9:20pm so far as down trains are concerned. That the officials of the various Local Authorities in the Valley including the education authority, teachers attending evening classes, representatives attending co-operative societies, social functions, concerts and meetings of various descriptions will be materially interfered with. That when the council receive the manager's letter of 2nd September he did not suggest in any way that it was probable that the late train would be dispensed with, otherwise the council would most certainly have asked for it to remain as before. Convenient as the new arrangement is, the old 10:27pm train was very much more convenient and it was desired that the 9:15 should be in addition to and not in substitution of that train and that the council most earnestly desire that the company will consider the matter with a view to an early alteration being made.

7th November, 1905
That the council consider it desirable that arrangements be made for a Police Station at Haworth.

The Clerk laid before the meeting a circular letter which he had received from the Board of Agriculture with reference to Anthrax, enclosing circulars for distribution to persons holding licences for slaughter houses.

The Clerk lay before the meeting a communication which he had received from the trustees of the Haworth Mechanics Institute acknowledging receipt of the clerks letter of the 4th stating that they learn with very deep regret that the council has not accepted the offer they made on the 30th September in reference to the investments of the money now standing to the credit of the trustees in the Yorkshire Penny Bank. That in the interests of the Free Library movement they would repeat their offer to hand over the money according to their communication of 30th September, 1905. On the motion of Mr Joseph Gott seconded by Mr Joseph Doughty it was unanimously resolved (with the exception of Mr James Smith who did not vote) that the council are prepared to borrow the money from the trustees on the same conditions as they borrow from others.

The Clerk reported that he had communicated with the Midland Railway company with reference to the 10:27pm passenger train in accordance with a resolution passed at the last meeting and that the local authorities of Oakworth, Oxenhope and Keighley had supported the council's application with the result that on the 28th the district superintendent of the company wrote stating that he had pleasure in informing the council that commencing 1st November the 10:27pm passenger train Oxenhope to Keighley (Saturdays excepted) would be restored.

1906

2nd January, 1906
It was unanimously resolved that the chairman of the council (Mr James Ackroyd) and chairman of the gasworks Committee (Mr S F Holdsworth) be heartily thanked for the dinner provided by them for other members and officers of the council and friends, at the Kings Arms Hotel on Friday the 22nd December, 1905 in commemoration of extensions of the council's gasworks.

6th February 1906
That the Clerk communicate with the Clerk to the West Riding Justices at Keighley stating that the council consider it desirable for new Justices of the Peace for the West Riding been appointed from the council's district. The population of the district is 7800 and the annual value £32435 and is the largest district in the Keighley Union which is not represented on the Bench, otherwise than by an ex officio member.

3rd April, 1906
The Clerk laid before the meeting a letter received from the Reverend David Arthur stating that a meeting had been held on Friday evening last which was attended by about 100 ratepayers with reference to Free Library matters when a resolution was passed asking that a deputation from the council meet a deputation of the Mechanics Trustees with the addition of two gentlemen from outside for the purpose of conference and if possible come to an agreement between the council and the trustees. It was resolved that the matter stand over for consideration until the monthly meeting of the council in May.

It was resolved that the question of reported stoppage of footpath between Withins and Blake Dean be referred to the Highways Committee for consideration.

The Clerk laid before the council communication which he had received from the Urban District Councils Association with reference to the Lancashire Electric Power Bill, drawing the attention of the council to the serious injury which is likely to be caused to local authorities in Lancashire by the said Bill. It was resolved that the members of Parliament for the district be asked to use their influence in obtaining the rejection of the Bill on its second reading.

1st June, 1906
The Clerk reported receipt of a letter from the Town Clerk of Keighley stating that the Tramways Committee of the Corporation are considering the question of running Motor Omnibuses in the Borough and surrounding districts including the council's district or some portion of it and asking the council to receive a deputation on the matter. On the motion of Mr Barwick Midgley seconded by Mr William Mitchell it was resolved that the letter be referred to the Highways Committee for consideration and report and that the Clerk reply stating that the Highways Committee of the council will be prepared to meet the deputation on Wednesday morning 13th June at 9:30 at the council's offices.

3rd July, 1906
A letter dated 16th June, 1906 from the Medical Officer of Health enclosing "Closing Order" to be signed by two members of the council one copy to be sent to the Educational Divisional Clerk and the other to the head teacher of the school requiring the closing of the Haworth Central Infants School for a period of three weeks in consequence of the prevalence of measles among the pupils.

17th July, 1906
That the balance of the amount set aside for Free Library purposes by the council be transferred to the credit of General District Fund.

That the Local Government Board be approached for their sanction to appropriate a plot of land for Free Library purposes. Voted for, the chairman declared the motion to be lost.

The Clerk lay before the meeting a letter received from the Reverend D Arthur dated 3rd April, 1906 which had been allowed to stand over a resolution of the Council for further consideration, Mr William Mitchell moved and Mr Joseph Gott seconded that the letter be placed in the waste paper basket. As an amendment Mr James Ackroyd moved and Dr Maggs seconded that a reply be sent pointing out that the council have discussed several proposals this evening with regard to the Free Library movements but do not see their way to fall in with the suggestions contained in the letter. There voted for the amendment eight against three the chairman declared the amendment to be carried and the original motion lost.

On the motion of Mr James Ackroyd seconded by Mr James Smith it was resolved that the question of reply (if any) to the auditor's report in connection with Free Library Fund be deferred to the next Ordinary meeting of the council. For eight, against five. The chairman declared a resolution to be carried.

Mr James Greenwood asked permission to move a resolution that a letter be sent to the Auditor with a copy of resolution passed this evening with reference to transfer of the amount standing to credit of Free Library account and enclosing a copy of the returning officers report on the result of the vote taken by ballot of the ratepayers with reference to provision of the Free Library in the council's district. On a vote being taken the chairman declared it to be lost, five voting for and six against.

7th August, 1906
Notice of motion was given by Mr James Ackroyd that the resolution passed at the last meeting of the council resolving to transfer the balance of amount set aside for Free Library purposes to the credit of the General District Fund be rescinded, also that the council approach the Local Government Board for their sanction to appropriate a plot of land for Free Library purposes.

4th September, 1906
The Clerk lay before the Council a circular which he had received from the Local Government Board with respect to the subject of the addition of preservatives to milk. On the motion of Mr Joseph Doughty seconded by Mr John Hartley it was unanimously resolved that the Inspector of nuisances be requested to look carefully into the circular along with the committee.

Mr James Ackroyd moved and Mr John Hartley seconded that the resolution passed at the last meeting of the council to transfer the balance of account set aside for Free Library purposes to the credit of General District Fund be rescinded. The voting was as follows:- For:- Messrs Ackroyd, Hartley, Dugdale and Holdsworth against:- Messrs Greenwood, Fletcher, Pickles, Doughty, William, Smithy, Maggs, Mitchell, Midgley, Binns and Gott. Neutral James Smith. Mr Ackroyd withdrew his notice of motion for the present and that the council approach the Local Government Board for sanction to appropriate a plot of land for Free Library purposes.

On the motion of Mr James Smith seconded by Dr Maggs it was resolved that the conveyance of strips of land abutting upon Mytholmes Lane in the council's district (the document also having reference to Butt Lane) be sealed with the council's common seal.

18th September, 1906
To consider the question of application being made for powers to run Motor Buses and Tram from Ingrow into and through the council's district.

2nd October, 1906
That the two enamelled notice boards received from the West Riding Rivers Board giving notice that any person who throws, puts or places so as to be carried, into any stream any mud, soil, ashes or rubbish will be liable, on conviction, to a penalty not exceeding £20, be erected one in River Street and the other in Belle Isle.

The Clerk laid before the council a communication which he had secured from the West Riding District Councils Association with reference to higher education and the question of adjoining councils entering into arrangements for the establishment of secondary schools.

6th November, 1906
That the surveyor communicate with Mr Emmott asking if it is his wish that the council should remove the wood shops at present on land granted to the council for widening Mytholmes Lane, on to adjoining land belonging to Mr Emmott

4th December 1906
The following are particulars of charities to which the powers of section 14 would apply viz:-
Haworth Exhibition Endowment, being of an educational nature, regulated by scheme of Charity Commissioners dated 26th June, 1888 and amendments thereof.
Haworth and Stanbury Charity, being of an educational nature related by scheme of charity commissionaires dated 1st September, 1899.
There are also the following charities viz:-
Free Grammar School, of which the income to the township of Haworth is distributed amongst poor persons.
Pollards Charity, income distributed to the port of Haworth and Stanbury Hamlets.
Midgley's Charity, income used in clothing 10 poor children in the township of Haworth.

1907

12th April, 1907
That the Clerk communicate with the engineer of the Midland Railway drawing his attention to the council's letter of the 6th February last and pointing out again that the highway over the railway bridge at Bridgehouse is in a very bad state of repair.

7th May 1907
That a new four-inch water main be laid from Craven Royd to Greenfield Terrace a distance of 225 yards.

That the water Superintendent instructed to prepare a plan of existing water main from bottom of North Street to Cravenroyd.

2nd July, 1907
That the following plans be approved. Amended plan of Masonic Hall, Mill Hey, Haworth.

That the application of the Salvation Army for a supply of gas to marquee in showfield be granted, that the charge be made for the labour of laying and taking up the mains in addition to the charge for gas consumed.

That the Gas Committee be authorised to hire the Drill Hall for the purpose of the Gas Exhibition, on the 17th 18th and 19th July next.

6th August, 1907
That owners of property in North Street as follows be given 28 days' notice to connect with sewer viz:-
Seth Pickles 17 & 19 North Street, Miss Booth 25 & 27 West Lane, W Hartley 31 & 33 North Street, Mr Pardoe (Green-Emmott) 26 & 28 Rawdon Street,, Mrs Petty 37 Providence, Mr T Robinson 42, 44 & 46 North Street. Mr John Pickles, 48 North Street, Margaret Sutcliffe 50 North Street, John Roper, 43 & 45 Main Street, Isaac Ackroyd 6 Gibb Street.

That notices to abate smoke nuisance caused by Messrs E Parker and company and Mr Samuel Ogden, from chimneys to their breweries and if they fail to abate the nuisance that the Inspector take legal proceedings forthwith.

2nd October, 1907
The Clerk reported that the general Superintendent of the Great Northern Railway had called upon him with respect to the memorial forwarded to the company by the council asking for railway facilities for the Lees and Cross Roads District. It was resolved that the Clerk communicate with the Secretary of the local committee having the matter in hand suggesting that a meeting of that committee should be called,.

5th November, 1907
That the Committee of the Lees and Cross Roads Institute (Science & Art Department) be informed that the finance committee of the council have considered their letter requesting that the council take into consideration the making of a grant to them for the purpose of assisting in carrying on the teaching of a secondary education at the Institute and that the council be asked to appoint a deputation to make a deputation of the council to further consider the matter and that the Institute Committee be asked to supply a syllabus of the subjects taught.

The Clerk reported receipt of a letter from the general manager of the Great Northern Railway with respect to the memorial presented by the council with reference to a suggested railway facilities between Cullingworth and Lees and Cross Roads. The company state that they do not at the present time see their way to incur any such heavy capital expenditure as would be required for the construction of the line in question. On the motion of W S H Holdsworth seconded by Dr Maggs it was unanimously resolved that the Clerk reply stating that the council are very much dissatisfied and think that they ought to have been given a an opportunity of meeting either the board of directors or some responsible officer to further explain their views.

A letter was laid before the Council from the Lees and Cross Roads Ratepayers Association stating that they had unanimously agreed to ask the council to petition the Keighley Corporation to extend their tramways to the borough boundary and that the council be asked to press forward this scheme and if possible the further extension of the tramways to Hebden Road End. It was unanimously resolved that the Clerk reply stating that the council are about to draft an Omnibus Bill to deal with various questions affecting their district and that one of these questions has special reference to application being made to run the motor buses and trams from Ingrow into and through the council's district.

The Clerk laid before the Council the medical officers report on the health of the district for the quarter ended September 28th, 1907 showing deaths 14 equivalent to an annual mortality of 7 per 1000 living and births 15 being 7.5 per 1000 of population.

3rd December, 1907
The Clerk reported receipt of a letter from the West Riding Standing Joint Committee agreeing to sell 15 yards of land or thereabouts at the price of 5/6 pair yard for the purpose of widening the road opposite the police station in Mill Hey.

The chairman reported that the Sub-Committee appointed at the last meeting of the council with reference to the proposal of the West Riding County Council to establish a college for the training of women had been in close touch with the matter during the past month. That they had waited upon W Alderman Dunn, chairman of the Education Committee who had been to Haworth to view Longlands Estate at the suggestion of the committee. Members of the Education Committee had viewed the site and that they all considered it to be suitable for the purpose.

1908

7th January, 1908
That the plan of coach house and stables for W Gordon Merrall in Belle Isle Road, Haworth be approved.

That 300 tons of Threlkeld Granite be obtained for the repair of Keighley and Halifax main road and 80 tons for Lees and Hebden Bridge main road.

The Clerk lay before the Council a letter which he had received from the Tottenham Urban District Council with reference to the question of unemployed workmen. On the motion of Dr Maggs seconded by James Smith it was resolved (8 voting for and 1 against) that having regard to the great distress now prevailing, due to the lack of employment, and considering the limited powers and financial resources of Urban District and other councils, and recognising the need of further legislation upon the matter, this council is of opinion that the unemployed problem is of great national concern and can only be satisfactorily dealt with on a national basis, and therefore calls upon the Imperial Government to take any necessary steps to deal with the problem on a national and systematic manner by themselves undertaking works of national necessity, and that a copy of this resolution be forwarded to the President of the Local Government Board and the local members of Parliament for this division.

22nd January, 1908
That the council to take all necessary steps for opposing in the next session of Parliament a Bill promoted by the Corporation of Keighley entitled:-
"A Bill to empower the Mayor Alderman and Burgesses of the Borough of Keighley to purchase further lands in connection with their water undertaking to extend the time for the construction of certain water works, to empower the Corporation to provide and work motor omnibuses and to extend the powers of the corporation with regard to their gas and electricity undertakings and with regard to the health local government and improvement of the Board for other purposes."

4th February, 1908
The chairman drew the attention of the council to the fact that Dr Arthur Newsholme, Medical Officer of Health for Brighton and a native of Haworth had been honoured by the President of the Local Government Board by being appointed to the position of Chief Medical Officer of Health to that honourable Board. It was resolved that the council tender to him the warmest congratulations of the council upon his elevation to the most important place attainable in his profession.

The chairman reported that he had waited upon the manager of the Great Northern Railway at King's Cross station on the 20th with reference to the proposed construction of a light railway from Cullingworth to Lees. That the manager had promised to look into the matter, have the proposed line of rails surveyed and an estimate of the cost got, after which he would communicate with the council again.

The Clerk laid before the Council a communication from the West Riding County Council with reference to the Small Holdings and Allotments Act 1907. It was resolved that the Clerk acknowledge receipt of same and state that there is no demand for smallholdings in the area of the council's district.

18th February, 1908
It was unanimously resolved that the Longlands Sub-Committee be instructed to take such steps as they may determine to bring before the county council the merits of the Longlands estate for the purpose of a training college for women.

3rd March, 1908
The Clerk reported that a School Closing Order had been made authorising the closing of the Haworth Infants School for a period of three weeks in consequence of the prevalence of measles.

24th March 1908
The Clerk reported that he had received a letter from the general manager of the Great Northern Railway with reference to suggested light railway from Cullingworth to Lees in which he states that with reference to the meeting he had with the deputation from the Haworth Urban District Council on the 20th January last, he had again looked into the question of the cost of suggested Light Railway and found that a considerable portion of the amount quoted was for goods station and warehouse. That with regard to the railway his figures work out more or less with the council's estimate. He regretted however that at the present time the company were not in a position to entertain the proposal for railway as is suggested owing to the difficulties in raising capital for that purpose.

16th April, 1908
The Clerk reported that under orders of the West Riding County Council dated 28 February and 25th April, 1907 an election of Urban District Councillors for the six new wards into which the council's district had been divided was taken on the 4th April last and that the result was as follows:-

North Ward
Binns Harry 118 votes - elected
Smith James 97 votes - elected
Rushworth George 85 votes - elected
Hey Ishmael 69 votes
Turner Frederick Wm 52 votes

South Ward
Ratcliffe John 115 votes - elected
Pickles Sunderland 88 votes - elected
Binns Thomas 56 votes - elected
Ogden Smith 48 votes
Smith Thomas Wm 39 votes
Wagstaff George 24 votes

East Ward
Greenwood Stephen 149 votes - elected
Maggs OHA 137 votes - elected
Ford George 93 votes - elected
Best Albert 50 votes
Rushworth Edmund 46 votes
Spencer Joseph Henry 21 votes

West Ward
Ackroyd James 146 votes - elected
Hartley Janes 130 votes - elected
Holdsworth S N 96 votes - elected
Wood Alfred 78 votes
Quarmby Fred 75 votes
Fletcher Amos 44 votes

North East Ward
Gott Joseph 151 votes - elected
Midgley Barwick 106 votes - elected
Mitchell Joseph 93 votes - elected
Greenwood James 86 votes

South East ward
Timson Robert 141 votes - elected
Taylor Ineson 109 votes - elected
Murgatroyd John 108 votes - elected
Doughty Joseph 86 votes
Edmondson Joseph 77 votes

The Clerk reported that all new members had made their declaration of acceptance of office.

May 5th 1908
It was unanimously resolved that 21 days' notice be given to persons named below to abate nuisance viz:-Mr Greenwood, houses three and five Lime Street, requiring defective drainage and privy midden to be attended to. Mrs Kay houses seven and nine Lime Street and eight Wood Street requiring defective drainage to be attended to. Miss Pickles, houses 11 and 13 Lime Street and 10 and 12 wood Street, defective drainage. W Joseph Green, houses 15 and 17 Lime Street and 14 Wood Street, defective drainage.

that the Inspector of nuisances be instructed to communicate with Messrs Holmes Laxton and Co, Vale Mills, Messrs J Sugden and Bros, Vale Mills, Messrs Merrall and Son, Ebor Mills, Messrs Hattersley Sons and Co Ltd, Springhead Mills and Messrs J Bland and son, Ivy Bank Mills, calling their attention to report from HM Inspector of factories under section 1 of the factory and workshops act 1901 with regard to Sanitary conveniences for the sexes.

That the draft agreement between the council and the County Council for the dedication of 15 square yards of land to the Highway opposite the police station be approved. That the Highways sub-Committee be empowered to secure the land and up to the prescribed building line on the west side of Belle Isle Road, also the land near to the police station from Messrs Merrell.

It was unanimously resolved that a slaughterhouse licence be granted to Mr Stephen Hey Holdsworth for slaughter house situated in Princes Street.

2nd June, 1908
That the following plans be approved viz:-addition to Farm, Moor End for W Joseph Townend.

That three months notice be given under section 91 of the public Health Act to Mr Samuel Ogden to abate nuisance caused by emitting dense smoke by brewery chimney.

That as the council having received continued complaint of the quality of the gas supplied to the Lees and Cross Roads District, the Clerk write asking the Keighley Corporation to provide a better supply.

That the Gas Committee be asked to consider the advisability of the lamps on the main roads being fitted with incandescent burners.

It was resolved that the plan of infants School proposed to be erected in connection with the Baptist chapel, West Lane, be referred back to the committee for further consideration.

The Clerk reported having received from the County Council of the West Riding of Yorkshire, deed of dedication of land for widening of highway opposite the new police station in Mill Hey

The Clerk reported having received a communication from the Corporation of Keighley on the question of unemployed work men, inviting delegates from this Council to attend a meeting in the Mayor's Parlour on the 29th.

17th June, 1908
The Parliamentary Committee fully reported on the council's opposition to the Bill promoted by the Keighley Corporation and on the concessions which had been obtained before the committee of the House of Lords. On the motion of Mr G A Murgatroyd, seconded by Mr W R Timpson and supported by several members of the council it was unanimously resolved that the Parliamentary Committee instructed to continue the council's opposition to the Bill as they may think necessary, up-to- and before the committee of the House of Commons.

6th July, 1908
that plans as follows be approved viz:-
Wooden lodge room, Belle Isle Road for Shepherds on the Mount Lodge, subject to usual agreement.

That urinal erected in Bridge House Lane be removed to a and re-erected in Belle Isle road.

that the council approved draft dedication of land for widening of the Lees and Hebden Bridge Main Road as submitted by the county council of the West Riding of Yorkshire.

That the Council approves agreement for the sale of a strip of land for the widening of Sun Street as submitted by Mr James Ackroyd.

6th July, 19 08
That the plan submitted by the West Lane Baptist Chapel Trustees of Infants School and W C's be approved so far as relates to the school buildings, but rejected so far as the WC's are concerned, on the ground that the council require WC's for the school and not Pail privies as shown on the plan.

4th August 1908
That Mr Samuel Ogden be given 28 days to alter two Privy middens in White Lion Yard to W C's.

That notice be given to Mr Edward Ferris to abate nuisance caused by overcrowding in house occupied by him, 8 Oakworth View.

That the Council support the Road Union in memorialising the Prime Minister on the subject of motor traffic, in the terms suggested by them in their letter of 9th July, 19 08.

The Clerk reported receipt of the communication from the County Council with reference to Motor Car Acts 1896-19 03. That the council reaffirm their report sent to the County Council in 1903 with the exception of highway at junction of Keighley and Halifax Road and Lees and Hebden Bridge Road, where special restrictions should be imposed owing to the dangerous curves in the highway at that point.

The surveyor reported the receipt of a letter from the Worth Valley Education Committee offering to allow the council to cart free soil from the Mytholmes Lane into the playground at Haworth School and receive in exchange the stone which has accumulated in the playground. That the council cannot see their way to accept the offer, but are willing to allow the Sub-Committee to cart the soil themselves and tip the stone in Belle Isle Road, which is near at hand.

The Clerk reported receipt of the communication from the West Riding County Council enclosing a copy of an order made by them under section 4 of the lights on vehicles Act 1907, that during the months of July, August and September in each year all vehicles carrying in the course of harvesting operations, any farm produce to stack or barn be exempt from the operation of the above act and any bylaw made thereunder.

The Clerk reported a receipt of a letter from Reverend T W Storey respecting old parish stocks. It was resolved that the matter be referred to the Highways, Buildings, Sanitary and Cemetery Committee for consideration.

1st September, 1908
The Inspector of Nuisances reported that the owners of property in Shirley Street, had signed an agreement authorising the council to alter five Privy middens to W C's in accordance with notice served upon them dated July 5th, 1908. That the council's inspector of nuisances be authorised to carry out the necessary work and charge the owners with the cost thereof.

That committee appointed at the last meeting of this committee to consider question of providing gentleman's convenience in Butt Lane be authorised to obtain tenders for the work required.

On the motion of Mr G A Murgatroyd seconded by Dr Maggs it was unanimously resolved that tender for convenience in Butt Lane as follows be accepted viz:-
George Bottomley Mason's work 45-0-0
B Whitaker and Son Cement work 12-0-0
Oats & Green Ltd Stands 23-7-3
And that glazed bricks be substituted in place of tiles and a prismatic Top Light put in.

6th October 1908
That kerb and causeway about 2 ft wide be laid on west side of Main Street from co-operative stores to Fleece Inn.

That 100 each of seven kinds of saplings be purchased for planting hillsides of sewage farm at a cost of £4-.10-0.

it was unanimously resolved that the sale of the sewage farm produce be left in the hands of the sewage Committee to deal with as they may think best.

That the question of fixing Motor Danger Signals on the highways in the council's district be left in the hands of the Highways sub-Committee and the surveyor.

That the Highways Committee be empowered to complete the purchase of a strip of land in Belle Isle Road from the Shepherds on the Mount Lodge and settle terms and best price.

That the finance committee be requested to devise a scheme for finding employment for the unemployed ratepayers in the council's district, who have been ratepayers during the past six months and prepare a list of deserving cases, and further that the finance committee recommend to the various committees of the council what they think should be done in the direction of carrying out works as will find employment for such deserving cases as the council think worthy. Carried unanimously.

3rd November, 1908
That the council enter into the agreement submitted between Walter Egeston and John Green-Emmott Esquire and the council with reference to surface water drained at Town End and liquid manure from farm premises into the council's sewer in Changegate.

That the Clerk reply to the letter received from the Road Union with reference to the evils caused by the mis use of motor vehicles stating that the council are unable to attend the meeting of local authorities on the question to be held at the Mansion House on the 27th October, but that the movement has the sympathy and support of this council..

That Messrs James Ackroyd and Joseph Gott be appointed provisional representatives of the council on the charity for which the Charity Commissioners are preparing a scheme in a matter of the charity called or known as the Allotment for the Labouring Poor in the Ancient Hamlet of Harden and that it be recommended to the urban district of Bingly and the Corporation of Keighley that it is desirable that representatives from the three districts concerned should hold a preliminary meeting to consider the draft scheme with a view to making suggestions (if any) to the Charity Commission.

1st December, 1908
That the plan of new W C's, lavatory and small scullery to premises adjoining Main Street for Bank of Liverpool Ltd approved.

That the urinal, top of Changete be lighted with gas.

The finance and general purposes committee reported that they had received 27 applications for work from unemployed in reply to posters issued in the Council district. That they had selected 10 cases and decided that they be further considered and work found if possible and suitable.

It was resolved that at the next meeting of the council a report be given re the application made to the Great Northern Railway company for railway facilities at Cross Roads.

that the insinuations and statements made by a W James Smith against the council with the respect to finding work for certain unemployed rate payers are untrue. That the explanations of the surveyor over points raised are satisfactory to the council.

Dr Maggs drew the attention of the council to the new Act of Parliament under which goods sold under patents registered from abroad should be manufactured in this country.

1909

5th January, 1909
The chairman stated that it was with deep sorrow that he had to report that on the 24th December last Mr Barwick Midgley, a member of the council had died. He was a highly respected member and probably the oldest. He brought to bear very useful knowledge over the many items of business which the council had to deal with. His death they all deeply lamented. He moved a note of condolence and sympathy with the members of the bereaved family. This was unanimously carried by all members and officers rising to their feet.

It was unanimously resolved that the Clerk issue a hand-bill in the council's district giving notice that the Council intend to enforce the provisions of the public Health acts with reference to depositing filthy, dust, ashes, rubbish all liquids upon any footway, pavements or carriageway or making improper use of sewer or drain grates which are only intended for surface water. Making improper use of ash pits by placing water and vegetable refuse therein; throwing broken crockeryware, tins, old bricks, or other similar articles into ash pits, and pointing out that persons offending are liable for every such offence to a penalty of £5 and in the case of continuing offence to a penalty of 40/- for every day after written notice of the offence from the council.

2nd February, 1909
The Clerk reported that he had received a letter from the local Government Board relative to the Carnegie Hero Fund Trust, the object of which is to benefit persons who have been injured in heroic effort to save human life or in the case of the death of such persons to assist any dependants they may have left in needy circumstances.

It was unanimously resolved that Messrs Harry Binns and George Rushworth be requested to make search for the remaining portions of the Old Stocks originally erected near to the Church gates and bring a recommendation as to where they think it best to erect such portions of the Stocks as may be found. It

that a letter be given to Mr George Moore and Mrs Clara Moore stating that in consideration of their agreeing to the setting back of the boundary wall of their land in Mytholmes Lane in a line with the adjoining property on both sides thereof for the purpose of highway improvement and in consideration of the council diverting a sum of water in land belonging to them situated in Mytholmes Lane the Council undertake to supply the remaining portion of the land belonging to them with the necessary water without charge for that purpose of a poultry run or for any animal which may graze upon the land. All the members of the council voted in favour except Messrs James Ackroyd, Robert Timson and Joseph Gott who were neutral .

it was unanimously resolved that the council prescribe a building line on the west side of Belle Isle Road as per plan passed by the Council on 7th November, 1905 and shown by a red line drawn theiron from Bridge House Lane to Mill Hill.

23rd March, 1909
That the suggested agreement between Merrall and Sons Ltd and property owners in Prince Street for selling a part of a footpath leading from Mill Hey to Fairfax Street and Prince Street, Haworth be approved.

3rd May, 1909
That the fire brigade be allowed £1 towards expenses of five men attending Annual Demonstration at Saltburn on Saturday May 1st.

That the captain of the fire brigade be requested to meet the Committee at their next meeting with reference to an account sent in for wages in connection with the fire at Messrs Gallons Grocery Stores.

The Clerk reported that he had received notice from Mr Joseph Tempest of his intention to give up possession of ground occupied by him in Victoria Road on 30th September next. It was resolved that the same be accepted and that the application of W Greenwood to become tenants of the said ground be accepted on his entering into an agreement on similar conditions to those on which the land let to Mr Tempus.

Keighley Corporation to run motor buses or trams from Ingrow into the council's area. After the matter had been discussed it was unanimously resolved that it be referred to the finance and general purposes committee for consideration.

3rd June, 1909
With respect to the notice given to cease working of Lees moor, asking for an extension of time. Resolved that a committee consisting of Messrs James Ackroyd, Joseph Gott, John R Murgatroyd and Stephen Greenwood appointed to view the quarry.

Mr Sunderland Pickles moved and Mr James Hartley seconded that the plan of sanitary conveniences for the Old Hall for Mr W E J G Emmott be approved. Mr James Ackroyd moved a Mr John A Murgatroyd seconded that they be disapproved on the ground that the building is not properly described. 10 voted for the amendment, and none against. The chairman declared the amendment to be carried.

The attention of the council was drawn to the threatening danger to highway at Dimples Road by reason that Mr Benjamin Shackleton tipping refuse from quarry occupied by him on Haworth moor and adjoining highway. It was resolved that the Clerk write to the Keighley Corporation drawing their attention to the matter and asked them to take steps to avoid chance of a quarry refuse being allowed to interfere with the highway and watercourse alongside thereof.

The Sub committee appointed to look into question of Old Stocks reported thereon. On the motion of Mr George Rushworth seconded by Mr James Smith it was resolved that the council accept the Stocks so far as they have been found. That the surveyor be instructed to fix them under the instruction of a small committee to consist of Messrs George Rushworth, Harry Binns, James Hartley and John Ratcliffe.

6th July, 1909
That a small committee be appointed to consider and report on the advisability of purchasing a small motor for haulage purposes to be worked by the present driver of the road engine when he is not engaged rolling the roads.

The Clerk laid before the committee correspondence with Mr James Bottomley respecting subscriptions received for Public Library purposes. It was decided that the question of dealing with the subscriptions does not come within the provenance of the council and it is recommended that the Free Library Committee per Mr Smith Ogden be asked to deal with the matter.

That Messrs Harry Binns, Ineson Taylor and Joseph Mitchell be appointed a committee to draw up memorials to the Midland Railway and Great Northern Railway, pointing out the inconvenience of their present main service to visitors to Haworth and the Bronte Museum and Country.

The chairman reported that he had received a communication from the Salvation Army intimating that it was the intention of General Booth to visit Haworth on the 5th August next and it was desired that he be accorded an official welcome. It was moved and second and that the council pass on to the next business.

An amendment was move by W Harry Binns seconded by Mr Ineson Taylor that the chairman of the Council give to General Booth an official reception in the name of the council. On the amendment being put to the meeting seven voted for, four against. The chairman them put the amendment as the substantive motion and declared the same to be carried.

5th August 1909
The question of ancient Parish award was considered. It was stated that the adjoining parish of Oxenhope had an award dated 1777 and that in all probability there existed one for Haworth. It was resolved that the chairman of the finance and general purposes committee, the Clerk to the Council and the council solicitor be authorised to take such action as they may decide to ascertain the whereabouts of the Haworth Enclosure Award (if any) and that they're out pocket expenses be paid and that the sub-Committee draw up a case re the Public quarry on Haworth moor and submit the same to W C E Baker for his opinion.

7th September, 1909
It was resolved that the committee having investigated the complaint of Mr Luther Magson respecting the water flow in the Goit at Belle Isle and having come to the opinion that the council are in no way to blame. Resolved that the Clerk be instructed to write to Mr Magson disclaiming any liability whatever.

That the attention of the education authority be drawn to the practice of children being allowed to leave clothing in the schools for an unreasonable length of time. That some of the garments are in a unsanitary condition and the council believe that this may be the means of spreading disease in the District and request that the Education Authority will take steps to have the practice complained of discontinued.

5th October 1909
That the surveyor be authorised to use discretion in allowing one half penny more pet hour to various labourers working in North Street only.

2nd November, 1909
Dr Maggs reported the attendance of himself and Mr James Smith at the last meeting of the Keighley and Bingley joint Hospital Board and explained the proposals made with respect to proposed use of the present smallpox hospital for a sanatorium for consumptives. On the motion of W Joseph Mitchell seconded by W Joseph Edmondson it was unanimously resolved that a special meeting of the council be held for the purpose of discussing all matters in connection with the said proposal.

7th December, 1909
It was resolved that the Clerk be instructed to communicate with the executors of Mr H Bland drawing their attention to the state of that part of the footpath leading from Coldshaw to Oxenhope Mill and ask them to put the same into a satisfactory state of repair. Also a letter to the Bridgehouse Mills Co Ltd with a similar request regarding the footpath along Goit leading to Oxenhope.

1910

4th January, 1910
That the number of firemen be increased to 10 and two of them live at Cross Roads and be responsible for keeping the equipment there in good order, and two to be responsible at North Street and the remainder of the men be responsible for the apparatus at Belle Isle.

The Clerk reported having received from the Commons and Footpath Preservation Society a copy of the Public Rights of Way Bill with a letter explaining the general purpose of the bill. It was resolved that in the opinion of the council it is highly desirable that the Public Rights of Way Bill should pass into law in order to afford greater facilities to Highway Authorities in the protection of Public Rights of Way and to enable them more efficiently to discharge the important duties placed upon them by Parliament in that behalf and this Council urges his Majesty's government to secure the passing of this Bill. That copies of this resolution be forwarded to the Prime Minister, the President of the Local Government Board, the Leader of the Opposition, the Parliamentary representatives for this constituency and the Commons and Footpaths Preservation Society .

1st March, 1910
That a contract be entered into with the National Telephone Company Ltd and for telephones and alarm bells for fire brigade purposes as per their specifications A & B. in the sum of £28, and that three firemen live at Cross Roads and three at North Street within 300 yards of the respective fire stations instead of two in each case as set out in minute of Council, 4th January, 1910.

22nd March, 1910
That the Highways Sub-Committee be empowered to plant with shrubs the tip in West Lane at an estimated cost of £5 and carry out the work forthwith.

On the motion of Mr James Ackroyd seconded by Mr Ineson Taylor it was unanimously resolved to rescind the resolution passed at the meeting of the council held on 4th January, 1910 with reference to Public Rights of Way Bill.

5th April, 1910
It was resolved that the Highways Committee be requested to consider the best means of dealing with the dust nuisance on the main roads within the council's district also to consider fixing speed of motor cars and the watering of Hector Road on to side bar.

Mr James Smith reported some particulars in regard to the saving of the lives of two children from drowning by Mrs Esther Greenwood, and considered it a case for further investigation and if so decided to report the facts to the Royal Humane Society and the Carnegie Hero Trust

3rd May, 1910
The Inspector of nuisances reported having received two plans for Mr James Ackroyd, one for eight houses in Rawdon Road and for Bank premises with dwelling houses over etc, Main Street. Mr Ackroyd made written request to withdraw the plans which was granted, and the documents returned to him.

16th May 1910
A special meeting of the Council was held this date at the Council Chamber, Haworth.

The Chairman made special reference to the death of his Majesty, King Edward VII and stated that the burial of the King would take place on the 20th inst. It was unanimously resolved that the Chairmen and members of the Council and Officers attend Divine Worship at the Parish Church on Friday the 20th inst at 2pm. And that the following be invited to take part, and meet at the Council's Offices and march in procession to the Church, viz:-
Haworth Brass Band
Third Battalion West Riding Regiment (Haworth Detachment)
Ambulance Brigade
Church lads Brigade and Boy Scouts
Police
Clergy and Ministers
Chairman and Clerk of the Council and Councillors
Worth Valley Local Education Sub Committee
West Riding Justices and County Councillor for the Haworth District
Haworth Guardians
The Council's Officers
Head Masters of Schools
Post Office Officials and Registrar of the District
Free Masons Lodge
Representatives of Friendly Societies
Representatives of Fire Brigade
That posters be issued requesting that all places of business in the Council's District be closed from 12 noon to 4pm and that all Blinds be drawn from 1:00pm to 3pm and that the Police marshal the procession.

7th June 1910
The Chairman stated that since the last Ordinary meeting of the Council our late noble King Edward had departed this life and although it was rather late it was nevertheless his painful duty to ask the council to pass a note of condolence and sympathy with Queen Alexandra, King George, Queen Mary and other members of the Royal family in the irreparable loss which they and the nation have sustained by the death of our late King. And that after the eulogies which have been showered upon the character of his late Majesty by the highest qualified men in the realm, it would ill become him to add any words to what has already been said. He asked the members of the council to support his motion by rising in their places. This was done by all the members standing.

He then moved and it was seconded by Mr Robert Timson that this Council do most respectfully offer to King George and Queen Mary their sincere congratulations on their accession to the throne and take this opportunity of assuring their Majesties of their humble devotion and loyalty to their persons and throne. The resolution was unanimously carried.

5th July 1910
That the Council make application to the local government Board for their sanction to the council providing a supply of Anti Toxin free of charge to the poorer inhabitants of the district in case of Diphtheria.

That 260 tons of granite be purchased for the repair of the Keighley and Halifax main road.

That application be made to the county council for permission to treat the main roads in their district with calcium chloride.

The Clerk reported that one of the road officials of the Automobile Association had met the surveyor and several members of the Council on Saturday afternoon last with reference to the proposal to erect signs at dangerous points on the roads in the council's district and that he had promised to recommend his association to supply free of cost such danger signs as were necessary.

The Clerk lay before the Council communication received from the County Council with respect to an application made by W Fred Blake for permission to erect a Portable Theatre in the fairground the County Council ask if the Council desire to express any views upon or make any observations with regard to the application. It was resolved that the Clerk reply stating that the council require to know that the sanitary arrangements will be satisfactory and what protection there will be in case of fire .

the Clerk reported receipt of a letter from the Tramways Committee of the Borough of Keighley stating that they understand that there is a strong desire amongst the inhabitants of the Cross Roads and Lees portion of the council's district that the Keighley Corporation services of Motor Omnibuses should be extended from the Borough boundary from Whins Wood, and that as such is the case and it is the wish of the Haworth Council that the service should be extended the tramways Committee are prepared to do so.

7th July, 1910
The members of the council appointed by the finance and general purposes committee to prepare a statement of fact to be placed before the ratepayers with reference to Brow moor and a portion of Haworth moor now presented their statement which after being fully considered were approved as follows:-

Facts relating to the proposed purchase
1. The moors in question naturally form part of the council's urban district. The rights of the Lord of the manor have passed out of the hands of a private owner into the hands of a local authority whose interests are detrimental to the interests of the council.

2. The moors are at the present time used for the general benefit of the public, who walk at their will over the various parts thereof, they are useful for open air exercises, for open air services, sacred concerts, and performances, cricket and football clubs, and to the thousands of visitors who annually visit the district by reason of their interest in the writings of the Bronte family.

3. A census has been taken on six separate dates, which shows that over 5000 people used the moors and approaches thereto on those dates.

4. The fact that the moors are now in the possession of an outside owner, lends to material interference with the scenery of the district, giving to quarry hills being thrown up, some of which almost extend to the walls of the Cemetery, and to such a height have some of these accumulations risen, that houses in West Lane, in the evening portion of the day, are entirely thrown into the shade, and consequently the sunshine of a part of the day is not enjoyed by the tenants of the houses referred to.

5. There is considerable danger of the public being prohibited from using Brow moor by reason of the probability of it being used for other purposes than an open moor. It is well known that the Keighley Corporation have already put up board's warning people to keep strictly to the recognised footpaths on the moors. The Council have already been threatened with an action for using a portion of the brow moor for tipping road scrapings.

6. Seeing that the council's water gathering ground is on Haworth moor, it is desirable that that portion of the moor which the council have power to purchase should belong to the council.

7. It is not desirable that Keighley should be allowed to increase their holding in the District, for if the Keighley Corporation thinks to apply for extension of its boundaries to include Haworth, it would be a good argument that they owned two-thirds of the land of the council's district, supply the whole of the district with water and one third with gas. Keighley Corporation should be restricted to such ownership of moorlands as are necessary for the securing of the purity of their water supply.

8. Places like Queensberry, Clayton, Thornton and Bingley have all had to acquire spaces for recreation purposes, and if these moors are taken, Haworth would at no distant date have to do the same. The danger of having their right's restricted is a real one.

9. The reasons for Keighley objecting to sell these moors cannot be for the water on them, as they say they do not want them for this, it cannot be for the shooting rights, because there are none on the portions of the moors which the council have the right to purchase; it cannot be that they require to get the stone for making reservoirs, because the council offered to buy the moors subject to their getting such stone as they require, which offer they declined. The only object can be to strengthen their hands with a view to the incorporation of this District with Keighley.

10. The council at some future time will require part of the Haworth moor for extension of the cemetery, and the two moors generally for obtaining pave stones, flags for street repairs, and also for tipping purposes.

11. The council have now legal opportunity of securing these rights, which will never occur again, and if not taken advantage of now, future generations will have to suffer, as the district is having to suffer now, by negligence in their past in allowing Keighley to get the whole of the natural water supply of the district, also by depriving a district of its gas and water supply to the Lees and Cross Roads District. The council has been put to the enormous expense of nearly £2,000 in opposing of the Keighley Corporation Bills in Parliament. Once the opportunity has gone, the inhabitants will have to pay dearly for any benefits which have occurred to Keighley, and which may be desired by this district in the future.

12. The council when opposing the Keighley Bill in 1908, asked as an alternative to purchasing that the following clause should be inserted in the Bill, viz:-so long as the said moor land or any part thereof is vested in or under the control of the Corporation, the Corporation shall not interfere, or permit any interference with the exercise of any existing rights of common thereover, or any customary use thereof for purposes of public recreation, or any public rights of way thereover, or any rights which the said Council may have of quarrying therein, nor shall the Corporation carry on or permit the carrying on or quarrying operations thereon, in such a manner as to be likely to interfere with or injuriously affect the underground waters which feed the existing water works of the said Council at "Hough Spring's". This the Corporation absolutely refused.

1.. That the conditions under which the council may compulsory purchase part of the Haworth moor and Brow moor are as follows:-

(a) To give notice before 1st August, 1910, of the council's intentions to purchase the moor land as per Keighley Act of Parliament. Note-Haworth may not withdraw from such negotiations after giving notice.
(b) failing agreement as to price, the question must be decided by arbitration under the arbitration Act 1889.
(c) The taxed arbitration costs of Keighley Corporation may have to be paid by the council in addition to the purchase price.

2. That any reduction of rights and privileges in the way of the use of the moors for recreation purposes would react upon the inhabitants of Keighley, inasmuch as the Moors are a favourite place of visitation by its inhabitants.

3. That the Freeholders right's to the surface of the moor, have to be considered, and Keighley cannot act independently of them.

4. And that the suggestion of enclosing the moors which could not be done without an Enclosure Act or further, of employing a keeper to patrol them for the purpose of keeping the people upon recognised paths, would by reason of the great expense be a most unlikely procedure.

5. The acquisition of the Moors would not enable the council to seek any further fresh source of water supply.

6. It respect to the alleged menace to the Haworth independency due to the Corporation holding some 1300 acres in the district, Keighley would still possess over 1000 of the District acreage, if the 285 acres were purchased by Haworth.

7. The whole of the 1300 acres owned by Keighley is of such a nature as to bring in less than £50 per annum for General District Rate purposes, which some includes for quarries, plant, buildings, shooting, land re. This is only 1% of the total income for rate purposes.

It was resolved that a ballot of the ratepayers be taken on the question on Saturday, 16th July, 1910 and that the Clerk be appointed Returning Officer. That the question on the ballot paper be as follows:-"A/re you in favour of the Council purchasing Brow Moor and a portion of Haworth Moor as set out in section 14 of the Keighley Corporation Act 1908".

29th July, 1910
The Clerk reported result of ballot taken in accordance with a resolution passed at the meeting of the council held on the 7th inst. The ballot was taken on the 16th inst there being three polling stations as follows:-
North and South Wards, East and West Wards, (the ballot being taken at the Central schools, Haworth) and North East and South East Wards (the ballot been taken at the Lees Provided Mixed School and that the result of the vote also as follows:-

For 200
Against 340
Spoilt 2

The Chairman informed the meeting that a deputation consisting of Messrs P H J Redman, Arthur Hirst, and Thomas Duerden wished to interview the council. On the deputation being introduced they lay before the Council a petition said to be signed by 322 ratepayers of the Haworth Urban District respectfully urging upon the Council importance of the Council exercising the option conferred upon the Council by Parliament, of purchasing from the Keighley Corporation, Brow moor and such a portion of the Haworth moor as is situated to the eastward of the highway across Haworth moor leading from Oxenhope to Stanbury by way of Waterhead Lane and praying that such steps may be taken forthwith as will insure the council becoming possessed of such rights as are now vested in the Keighley Corporation. Each member of the deputation addressed the meeting in support of the petition.

Mr James Ackroyd moved and Mr J H Holdsworth seconded that notice be given to the Keighley Corporation of the council's intention to purchase Moors in accordance with section 14 of the Keighley Corporation Act 1908. On the motion having put to the meeting there voted for Messrs James Ackroyd, P.H. Holdsworth, Thomas Binns, John Ratcliffe and Alfred Wood. Against Messrs Joseph Mitchell, Robert Timson, Ineson Taylor, John A Murgatroyd, Harry Binns, O H A Maggs, Joseph Edmondson, James Hartley, Smith Ogden, J H Spencer and Stephen Greenwood, Newall W Joseph Gott. The chairman declared the motion not carried.

2nd August 1910
The Clerk read correspondence with West Riding County Council with reference to Tar Spraying Roads. It was resolved that the whole question be left in the hands of the Highways Committee to deal with as they may decide.

Mr Joseph Gott reported having attended a meeting of the trustees under scheme for Allotments for labouring poor, Harden and that the Clerk stated that there was capital to the credit of the trustees which might by the consent of the Charity Commissioners be divided and spent on providing Allotments in the District's of the several authorities interested under the scheme. It was resolved on the motion of Mr Robert Timson seconded by Mr Joseph Gott that the Clerk communicate with the secretary of the trustees asking him to communicate with the council in writing the suggested scheme for dividing the money.

6th September, 1910
That Lamplighters as follows be appointed for the ensuing lighting season at 10/6 each per week viz:-
Area 1. J R Toothill
2..Nelson Whitaker
3. J W Spencer
4.. Albert Holmes
5. William Wright
That the Public lighting of lamps commence on the 27th August, 1910.

Dr Maggs moved and Mr Joseph Gott seconded that the consent of the council be given to the Keighley Corporation providing a service of Motor Omnibuses between Keighley and Haworth, the corporation agreeing to discontinue such service when required by the council and that this consent shall not prejudice the rights of the council as the Highway Authority of the roads in their district. On the motion being put to the meeting Messrs J H Holdsworth and Alfred Wood were neutral, Mr James Ackroyd voted against; the rest of the members voted in favour. The chairman declared the resolution to be carried.

4th October, 1910
The Highways, Buildings, Sanitary and Cemetery Committee reported having received a deputation from the Keighley Corporation consisting of Alderman John Smith, and councillors John Mitchell, Albert Smith and Herbert Sellers waited upon the Committee and stated that the Corporation contemplated applying for Parliamentary power to provide and run a service of vehicles on the trackless trolley system and that it was suggested that one of the routes should be within the area of the council and explained what it was proposed and asked for the consent of the corporation being granted power to provide and run such a service of vehicles on the route proposed viz:- From the council's boundary at Whins Wood, along the Keighley and Halifax main road, and Lees and Hebden Bridge Main Road to the council's boundary at Oxenhope.. It was resolved that the Clerk reply stating that there are several matters of importance which the Council desire to discuss with the corporation with a view to amicable arrangements being come to and asked if the corporation will receive a deputation on the matter.

The Committee appointed at the last meeting of the council with reference to applications to Road Board reported that they made application for grants in aid of the following suggested works viz:-widening of road to entrance of Haworth leading from Colne on the Toller Lane Blue Bell and Haworth main road; estimated cost £1,500 with the council to bear one third of cost; widening of road leading from Keighley and Bradford to Haworth and Hebden Bridge on the Lees and Hebden Bridge Main Road, estimated cost £400 the council to bear one-third of cost. Widening of Road at dangerous curve leading from Keighley and Bradford to Hebden Bridge on the Lees and Hebden Bridge Main Road, estimated cost £100, the council to bear nothing towards cost.

1st November, 1910
The committee further recommended that proceedings be taken against Robert Beck, Percy Ogden, Harry Liddimore and Willie Pickles for trespass and damage at the council's sewage works on the 8th October last. The boy's named with their parents attended before the Council and begged that legal proceedings should not be instituted and after the matter had been fully considered it was moved by Dr Maggs and seconded by Mr Joseph Gott that legal proceedings be not instituted but that the lads be reprimanded and cautioned. The resolution was declared by the chairman to be unanimously carried.

On the motion of Dr Maggs seconded by Mr Stephen Greenwood it was resolved that the duplicate set of plans submitted by Mr James Ackroyd for Banking premises, Main Street, Haworth be sealed with the council seal and that this duplicate sealed copy be returned to Mr Ackroyd.

6th December, 1910
Joseph Mitchell be appointed as sub-Committee to take into consideration the question of sewers and sewering of the Brow side of the district and the remaining part of the Coldshaw District and report to this committee.

That the chairman of the council and the chairman of the Highways Committee endeavour to arrange to meet a representative of the Midland Railway Company with a view to improving the approach to the railway bridge on the west side thereof.

 



haworth-village.org.uk 2001 - 2017


tracker