Haworth

Home Contributors Contact Links Wallpaper Search
 News
 Local Community
 Annual Events
 Out and About
 Local History
 Nature
 The Brontes
 Steam Railway
 360° Panoramas
 Tourist Information

Haworth History
Past & Present Pictures
Haworth Maps 1852
Haworth Schools History
Stanbury School History

History Pictures
Haworth
Oxenhope
Cross Rds
Stanbury


Haworth History - Haworth Park Chronology


About Haworth Park here... I About Haworth Local Council 1851 - 2000 here...

Haworth Park Chronology


1924


October 7, 1924
In accordance with notice of motion given at the last ordinary meeting of the Council, Mr Thomas Duerden moved and Mr George Rushworth, seconded that the Council take steps to provide land on the Haworth side of the district for the purpose of Recreation Ground and Park without delay and that a committee be appointed to consider the matter and report to the Council thereon.


1925


March 23, 1925
That the Council offer £1500 to the owners of land bounded by Belle Isle, Bridgehouse Lane and Butt Lane for the purpose of a Public Park, Recreation Ground re- subject to the sanction of the Ministry of Health, and that the clerk obtain from Messers R B Broster & Sons, tracing showing land referred to and that the subcommittee of the Council appointed for the purpose, have a further interview with Messers Broster.

April 23, 1925
The clerk reported receipt of a letter from Messers R B Broster & Sons dated April 10, 1925, stating that the Trustees of the Haworth estate were prepared to sell to the Council land bounded by Belle Isle, Bridgehouse Lane and Butt Lane, for the purpose of a Public Park, Recreation Ground etc. in the sum of £1452-10-0. Resolved that the offer be accepted subject to the approval of the Ministry of Health.

August 14, 1925
Messers R B Broster & Company attended the meeting and laid before the Council plan and scheme of proposed Recreation Ground. It was resolved on the motion of Mr George Rushworth seconded by Mr J Hindley that the plan and scheme as laid before the meeting be provisionally approved, and that Messers R B Broster & Company be instructed to get out estimate of cost of carrying out the scheme.
preparatory to the Council applying to the ministry of health for permission to borrow money for carrying out the scheme.

October 6, 1925
That the Council offer to purchase, subject to approval of the Minister of Health, a plot of ground containing 4900 square yards or thereabouts from G V Green Emmott Esq for recreation ground purposes in the sum of £250.

That the Council ask Messers Pilgrim & Hayman, solicitors to the Rawdon Trustees to prepare and forward to the Council's solicitors, agreement for sale and purchase of land 7 acres 1 rood 2 perches or thereabouts in Butt Lane Haworth for recreation ground purposes.

November 3, 1925
That the draft agreement between the Council and Major L. J. Cowper and another for sale and purchase of plot of land for recreation ground purposes be referred to the recreation ground subcommittee for consideration.

November 17, 1925
That the draft agreement between the Council and Major Cowper and another, for sale and purchase of land at Haworth be approved, subject to clauses being inserted that the purchase is conditional on the Ministry of Health giving consent to borrowing powers, and that the Council are under no obligation to carry out, make or maintain any streets or road within the portion coloured pink on the plan and next to the agreement, and that a cheque for £170 deposited on purchase price be drawn.


1926

January 5, 1926
It was resolved that the agreement between the Council and Major Cowper for purchase of plot of land for recreation ground purposes be sealed with the Council's seal.

February 2, 1926
That the plan and estimates of proposed Park and Recreation Ground as submitted by Messers R B Broster & Sons be approved and that the application be made to the Ministry of Health for the necessary borrowing powers in the sum of £9500 made up as follows: land £1700, cost of laying out £7577-6-2 Conveyancing costs, Solicitors charges and Contingencies £222-13-10.

August 3, 1926
The clerk laid before the Council letter from the Ministry of Health dated 26 July with respect to loan for Recreation Ground and Park stating that the Minister approved of the proposal to provide a pleasure Ground, he considers the layout of the ground to be on somewhat expensive lines and asks the Council to consider this matter, also inquiring what revenue will be forthcoming from the Tennis Courts and Band Performances. It was resolved that the clerk reply stating that the Council gave careful consideration to the scheme before submitting the same to the Ministry also that they took into consideration the question of cost, that they have again considered the matter and unanimously have come to the conclusion that they desire the scheme to go forward as submitted, also that the Council are unable to give an estimate of income from the Tennis Courts and Band Performances.

It was resolved that the Council make application to the Unemployed Grants Committee for grants in aid of laying out ground for Recreation Ground and Park, and that the Parks Committee be empowered if necessary to send deputation to London to interview the Committee and that their out pocket expenses be paid by the Council.

September 7, 1926
The clerk reported receipt of sanction to loan from the Ministry of Health with respect to Recreation Ground viz, £1700 for land repayable in 60 years and £7800 for lay out scheme repayable in 20 years.

October 5, 1926
It was resolved that the clerk be authorised to have cheque signed by balance of purchase money in connection with purchase of Recreation Ground.

November 2, 1926
The clerk reported receipt of a letter dated 26 inst from the Unemployment Grants Committee with reference to the Council's application for assistance in respect of Park and Recreation Ground scheme at Butt Lane. The committee state that having regard to the representations made at the interview on the 9th September and to the extent of unemployment prevailing locally they have agreed to meet this application exceptionally and to approve the scheme for the purpose of grants of

(a) 75% of the interest and sinking fund changes for a period of 10 years namely, half the full authorised term of the loan in respect of the loan raised to meet expenditure on the non revenue producing works, and

(b) 50% of the interest for 15 years on the loan raised to meet expenditure on the revenue producing works viz tennis courts. The grant will not of course apply to the cost of the land which is understood to amount to £1700.

The grant is approved on the condition that the work under the scheme is actively commenced by 15th November 1926 and completed within a period of 12 months from the date of commencement.
It was resolved on the motion of Mr Ackroyd seconded by Mr Bannister that in view of the letter the Council accept the grants and that the Council purchase forthwith to carry out the Park and Recreation Ground Scheme.

November 26, 1926
It was resolved that the Council on the advice of Messers R B Broster & Sons proceed with the work on the unskilled part of the Park and Recreation Ground scheme by district Labour. That the deputation that went to Wakefield with regard to Rawdon road interview the Vendors of the land bought for the Park scheme and continue arrangements with a view to the construction of Road being abandoned.
That an additional six men be employed during next week on the Park scheme.

December 7, 1926
On the recommendation of the Park and Recreation Ground Committee it was unanimously resolved. That an effort be made to obtain possession of the road on the West side of the Central Schools, and that Messers Duerden, Murgatroyd and Ackroyd be appointed to interview the County authorities at Wakefield with respect to this matter.

That the work be commenced on the proposed Park on Monday morning the 15th November, and that five men and one ganger be employed under the direction of Messers RB Broster & Sons.

That J Auld be appointed ganger foreman of the scheme at 1/3 per hour; a minimum weekly wage of 30/-, and in case he is unable to work on any particular day owing to bad weather that he be paid up to noon, he to work along with the men.
That the work be continued on Saturdays until 12 noon when the ganger be requested to bring Time Sheets for the morning to the Councils Collector, who will make up wages for the week and pay same.
That the rate of wage of men employed on the Park scheme be fixed at 11d per hour for the time being.

1927


January 4, 1927
That the Parks Committee be given full power to accept tenders for the various works on behalf of the Council, if they so desire.

January 11, 1927
Resolved that the following tenders in respect of the various works required in the construction of the Park and Recreation Ground be accepted.
Masons Work, Messers Towler & Crabtree £3390, joiners work Mr Robert Ratcliffe, £215-9-11; plumbers work, Mr A Jowett £213-9-0; Slaters work, Messers WH & E Walton £176-16-0.

January 18, 1927
An amended tender of Messers Towler & Crabtree in the sum of £3504 for work on the Park Scheme was considered and it was resolved that a subcommittee be appointed to interview the firm with power to accept the tender if thought desirable.

February 1, 1927
It was resolved that contracts between the Council and Messers Towler & Crabtree; WH & E Walton, Arthur Jowett, and WE & H Ratcliffe with respect to work in connection with Parks & Recreation Ground Scheme be sealed with the Council's seal.
It was resolved that Messers Pickles, Ackroyd, Duerden and the Council's Engineers confer with the local Labour Exchange with respect to men to be engaged on the Parks & Recreation Ground Scheme and that as far as possible local labour only be employed on the scheme.

March 1, 1927
The clerk reported they are prepared to advise the trustees of the Rawdon Estate to agree to the proposed alteration in the width of Street between the proposed tennis court and the Council's schools in connection with the Park scheme.

March 22, 1927
That the parks subcommittee be instructed to change men employed on the Park scheme weekly, also that they have power to deal with the reforming of Butt Lane, and to make enquiries from the executors of the late Mr Cecil Ackroyd with respect to the land owned by them abutting on Bridgehouse Lane.

May 3, 1927
That the Parks subcommittee be instructed to negotiate with Mr Ogden with respect to purchase of land and buildings at Mill Hill and report to the Council.

June 9, 1927
That a supply of water be granted to the Council's Parks and Recreation Ground at a charge of £4 per annum.

July 12, 1927
Tenders were received for the work required in connection with Ashphalting of Paths and making of Tennis Courts in the Park. It was resolved that the tender of the Tarred and Rock Asphalt Paving Co, Sheffield in the sum of 3/2 per square yard for asphalting of Paths; and in the sum of 3/2 per square yard for making one Tarred Macadam Tennis Court and 3/4 per square yard for making one Red Shale Tennis Court with the addition of £85 for fittings for both courts be accepted. It was resolved that two tennis courts to be provided, one tarred macadam, and one red shale.

August 2, 1929
The surveyor to engage man for attendance at Park at a wage of £1 per week be approved. That the Parks committee be instructed to draw up a list of duties and advertise for a park attendant.

September 6, 1927
That the seat at present fixed at the top of Bridgehouse Lane be removed into the Park.
That the Council purchase from Mr James Ogden subject to the consent of the Ministry of Health, his property situated between Butt Lane, Belle Isle road and the Park, for the sum of £1420.

October 4, 1927
On the recommendation of the parks committee and on the motion of Mr Thomas Duerden seconded by Mr Ackroyd it was unanimously resolved. That the Council open a subscription list inviting the public to subscribe towards the provision of seats in the Park, the value of the seat for the purpose to be fixed at 48/, and all donors to have presentation nameplates fixed on seats given by them. Also that the clerk to the Council be appointed treasurer of the fund so raised.

November 8, 1927
It was unanimously resolved on the recommendation of the Parks committee that Mr Albert E Sunderland be appointed Gardener attendant at the Council's Park at a wage of £3-5-0 per week. That the offer of Messers Jagger Bros to give to the Council stone for the purpose of inscribing names of members of the Council in connection with the completion of Park be accepted, and that the names of the whole of the members of the Council along with the clerk be inscribed on the stone.

December 6, 1927
The Parks Committee recommended and Mr George Rushworth moved and Mr W Bannister seconded that dogs be not admitted in the Park. As an amendment Mr Holmes Ackroyd moved and Mr Charlie Smith seconded that dogs be not admitted in the Park except on leash. The Chairman on putting the amendment to the meeting declared the same to be carried.

The clerk laid before the Council letter from the West Riding of Yorkshire Playing Fields Association intimating that the last day for applications for grants was the 15th of December. It was resolved that the clerk communicate with the Association pointing out that the Council have in view plot of ground near Council Schools which they think is very suitable for purpose of playing fields and ask for this land to be scheduled for purpose of application for grant

That the tender of Mr Robert Ratcliffe required in connection with the provision of cold frames and notice boards etc at the Park in the sum of £18-9-6 be accepted.

1928


February 7, 1928
On the recommendation of the Parks committee it was unanimously resolved that the Parks Superintendent be instructed to limit the playing of organised games in the Park to schoolchildren. That the sum of £20 be paid to Mr Albert Sunderland the Parks Superintendent for plants supplied to the Park.

That the plan of coal store and potting shed to be erected in the Council's Park be approved.
It was resolved that the clerk write the to public bodies in the Council's district inviting them to send a representative to meet the Parks committee with a view to the provision of public seats in the Council's district.

That the Parks committee have full power to accept the tender for provision of seats.

March 6, 1928
On the recommendation of the Parks committee it was unanimously resolved that the coal store and potting shed be erected in the Park and that the tender of Messers Towler & Crabtree for the erection of same in the sum of £130-15-0 be accepted.

That the tender of Mr James Wharton for provision of 200 seed boxes for the sum of £6-13-4 be accepted.

That the tender of Messers Ceilbrans Ltd for supply of trees for the Park be accepted at the sum of £160.

That the necessary plant pots be purchased from Messers Sankey & Son Ltd at an estimated cost of £10.

April 3, 1928
It was resolved that Messers RB Broster & Sons, the Council's architects of the Park scheme, be instructed to re-arrange the paddling pool in the Council's Park.

April 19, 1928
That a letter of thanks be sent to the Cooperative Society, Haworth, employees for the gift of a seat in the Council's Park.

May 1, 1928
On the recommendation of the Parks Committee it was resolved that the Council purchase 26 collapsible chairs for use of bands when giving concerts in the bandstand, the Haworth Band having promised to arrange concerts to liquidate the cost.
That permission be granted to the Haworth Band to practice in the band stand on week-days in view of their contest on May 12; also that they be given permission to use the Park on Whit Sunday and Sunday, July 1928.

That a lawnmower with roller be purchased at an estimated cost of £7.
Mr J Hindley moved and Mr W Bannister seconded that no Band Rehearsals or other practices be allowed in the Park on Sundays. On the chairman putting the motion to the meeting he declared the same to be lost; 4 voting for 10 against.

July 3, 1928
That permission be granted to the Haworth Public Institute to arrange a Community Sing in the Council's Park on one Sunday in August the day to be fixed later.

It was resolved that the clerk order a further 20 seats from Messers Murton & Varley Ltd of their "Anchor" type.

August 7, 1928
That permission be granted to the Haworth public Institute to hold a community sing in the Park on Tuesday evening August 14 in the place of the Sunday previously suggested.

September 4, 1928
That the clerk take the necessary steps to obtain the services of some member of the Royal family for the ceremony of the opening of the Park.

September 21, 1928
That the parks committee be empowered to take steps necessary for the preparation of detailed plans of the proposed layout of the East side of the Park.

That a deposit of £100 be paid to Mr James Ogden on account of purchase price for land, Butt Lane for the development of the East side of the Park.

October 2, 1928
On the recommendation of the Parks committee it was unanimously resolved that the Council's architect be instructed to prepare detailed plans of the proposed layout of the land on the east side of the Council's Park.

November 6, 1928
On the recommendation of the parks committee it was unanimously resolved that the tender of Mr J Pedley for the provision of shelving in greenhouse in the Council's Park, for the sum of £9-15-0 be accepted.

1929


January 1, 1929
On the recommendation of the Parks committee it was unanimously resolved that six tons of weathered limestone be purchased for additional rockery work at an estimated cost of £6.

February 22, 1929
The Council's architects Messers R B Broster & sons attended the meeting and laid before the Council amended scheme for alteration at the junction of Belle Isle Lane and Butt Lane and completion of Haworth Park. It was resolved that application be made to the Ministry of Health for sanction to loan in the sum of £1200 additional to the sums of £95 and £376 granted on 7 September 1928 for the purpose of completing the Haworth Park, boundary and improvement at the junctions of Belle Isle Lane and Butt Lane including for the demolition of cottage property and outbuildings forming fuel store and bath room in accordance with the scheme prepared by the Council's architect.

May 7, 1929
On the recommendation of the parks committee it was unanimously resolved: That a lawnmower be purchased at an estimated cost of £6. That it be an instruction to the Parks Superintendent that in frosty weather, that the WC's in the Park be locked up, and that the water cisterns be emptied. It was resolved that the Chairman and Vice Chairman of the parks committee be empowered to purchase 26 folding chairs for use in the Band Stand. That necessary plates "please keep of the grass" be purchased to use in the Park. That the Haworth Band be granted free use of the Park on Whit Sunday and Rush-bearing Sunday.

July 2, 1929
On the recommendation of the Parks Committee it was unanimously resolved, that the application of the Bradford City and Working Men's Club and Institute to give a performance on Sunday, June 30 on the terms of £2; £1 deposit and the other £1 to be paid on the day of the performance.

Mr Holmes Ackroyd moved and Mr James Riley seconded that clause 20 of the bylaws be amended to read "dogs not allowed in the park except on leash". On the amendment being put to the meeting, the chairman declared the same to be carried.

August 6, 1929
The clerk reported that the Ministry of Health had returned draft byelaws with respect to the Park with certain amendments. It was resolved to agree to delete clauses 2 and 3 of the draft, and to approve replies to observations on clauses 9, 10, 14 and 23.

October 1, 1929
That steps be taken to obtain borrowing powers to cover cost of proposed removal of War Memorial into the Park.

December 3, 1929
On the recommendation of the parks committee it was unanimously resolved that Messers Duerden, Bannister, Spencer and Rushworth be appointed a subcommittee with full power to act, to negotiate with Mr J Rhodes for purchase of land belonging to him abutting on Belle Isle road. That the district valuer be asked for his value of this land and that the powers of the Council be ascertained, if any, under the acquisition of lands act.

1930



March 4, 1930
On the recommendation of the parks committee it was unanimously resolved that 1500 antiseptic impregnated lavatory seat covers be purchased from Messers JG Porter (printers) Ltd, 26-27 Bond Street, Leeds, at a cost of £1-0-0.

March 24, 1930
That the clerk be instructed to send a printed copy of the Park Bye Laws to Mr Holden, the schoolmaster, and to ask him to read these out in school.

May 6, 1930
That the charge to school teachers and children from the two Council schools in the district, for tennis be one penny per game from 4 pm to 5:30 pm on Mondays Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and Saturday morning up to 12 o'clock noon.

That the Council advertise for a youth 16 years of age as the assistant to the parks superintendent at a wage of 15/-per week.

July 1, 1930
That the architect be instructed by the surveyor to take the necessary steps to complete erection of the railings in the Park.

July 15, 1930
It was resolved that a tentative offer of £100 per acre for land behind the Central Schools for proposed use as playing fields be made to the owners of the land.

That Messers R B Broster & sons be asked to give their opinion as to provision of Bowling Green in the Haworth Park at the bottom end, on either side, and that they give a provisional estimate of cost.

August 5, 1930
That the Haworth Public Institute be granted use of the Haworth Park for annual sing on Sunday, 31 August 1930.

It was resolved that the Council takes steps to provide Bowling Green.

That a subcommittee consisting of the chairman and Messers Ackroyd and Rushworth seek interview with the trustees of the Rawdon estate with a view to the purchase of land behind the Central Schools.

August 15, 1930
Mr George Rushworth moved and Mr Bannister seconded that in the opinion of the Council the land behind the Central Schools is suitable for the purpose of playing fields. As an amendment Mr Holdsworth moved and Mr Spencer seconded that no action be taken with regard to the land. The chairman on putting the amendment to the meeting declared the same to be lost, and the original motion carried.

That the parks committee be instructed to see to the shelters in Haworth Park being boarded on the inside immediately above the seats.

September 2, 1930
That Mr Robert Wood be requested to undertake the work of boarding up the sides of the shelters in the Council's Park.

That the clerk communicate with Dr Fitzgerald drawing his attention to the unsatisfactory state of the fencing round his property, and to the fact that at present the fencing allows the possibility of people to enter the Park by way of his private footpath; and further to request Dr Fitzgerald to desist from tipping garden rubbish into the Park.

October 7, 1930
The clerk laid before the Council letter from Messers RB Broster & sons intimating that the trustees of the Rawdon estate were prepared to accept £200 acre for land coloured red and £100 acre for land coloured blue on tracing enclosed with the letter, for the sale to the Council of land behind the Central Schools, for purposes of playing fields.

The subcommittee which have been looking into the question, recommended the purchase of the land tinted on the plan with the addition of 2622 yards of land as shown on tracing to the North-west boundary in a straight line to Rawdon road. It was resolved that the recommendation of the subcommittee with respect to the additional land be approved.

It was resolved that the clerk communicate with the West Riding County Council Education Department and the West Riding of Yorkshire Playing Fields Association, stating that the Council are negotiating for the purchase of this land, and asking if they are willing to make a grant towards the purchase price.

It was resolved that the Council make application to the Ministry of Health for sanction to loan in the sum of £1030 for the purchase of land behind the Central Schools, Haworth, for the purpose of playing fields.

1931


July 7, 1931
That the Haworth Public Prize Band be granted use of the Haworth Park for the purpose of a Brass Band Contest about the end of August or beginning of September, that they be allowed to charge for admission, and that the Park be closed from 12 o'clock noon, on the day of the contest.

August 4, 1931
That chairs in band stand at Haworth Park be painted under the supervision of Messers Spencer and Waddington and the park superintendent.

That the tenders submitted by Haworth Industrial Co op. Society Ltd for painting and varnishing 15 seats in the Haworth Park as per specification, at a price of £4-9-6 be accepted.

September 1, 1931
Resolved that the Haworth Band be granted permission to use the Haworth Park on Saturday, September 12.

1932



1st March, 1932
The clerk laid before the Council letter from Chas H Pugh Ltd intimating a demonstration of their Atco Lawn Mower will take place in the Council's Park on Wednesday the 2nd instant. It was resolved that if the members of the Council attending are satisfied with the machine, that they have power to purchase, and the clerk was instructed to draw a cheque in payment.

May 3, 1932
That painted notices requesting cleanliness be placed in both conveniences in Haworth Park.

7th June, 1932
That putting courses be made at Cross Roads Park and Haworth Park at an estimated cost of £7 each.

July 5, 1932
That two drinking fountains be provided, one for Haworth Park and one for Cross Roads Park.

It was resolved that the Haworth public band be granted the use of the Haworth Park for brass band contest to be held on 20 August, on the same terms and conditions as last year.

6th September 1932
That the drinking fountain as at present erected by W A Jowett in Cross Roads Park be approved and that a similar fountain be erected in Haworth Park, the site to be decided upon.

That the action of the chairman of the Council in giving permission to the Lees and Cross Roads Institute to hold their "Annual Sing" in Cross Roads Park on Sunday afternoons September 4, 1932, to be followed by a concert in the evening given by the Haworth Public Prize Band, be confirmed.

That the parks superintendent remove geese from the tennis court enclosure at the Haworth Park, for one day, afterwards that he be allowed to run geese on the tennis court enclosure, on condition that the paths are kept clean.

1933


7th February 1933
That the parks superintendent be authorised to purchase up to 2000 Gladiolas, at his discretion.
That steps be taken by the Parks Committee to recommend a site for the provision of a bowling green in Haworth Park, also the preparation of estimates of cost, taking into account any unemployed labour that may be available.

23rd March 1933
That a letter be sent to Fowl Keepers in the vicinity of Haworth Park, complaining of Fowls straying into the Park, and stating that if the nuisance complained of is not remedied, the Council will deem it necessary to take proceedings.

2nd May, 1933
That the parks manager have full discretion to exchange plants & cuttings in the same manner and with the same privileges as other Park superintendent's in the neighbouring district, and further that a particular day be fixed in autumn, when the general public shall be at liberty to obtain surplus plants grown in the parks, free of cost.

8th August 1933
That the amended plan as submitted by the Council's surveyor for the Bowling Green at Haworth Park be approved.

3rd October, 1933
That the parks superintendent be instructed to order 100 rose trees at a cost of £4, and also to purchase bulbs for both parks, up to an amount not exceeding £8.

It was resolved that the site for Bowling Green be as marked out by the pegs and lines fixed on plot in the Council's Park, and that the parks subcommittee lay before the parks committee particulars of the method by which it is proposed to carry out the work.

1934


January 2, 1934
That the house No 2 Mill Hill be the residence of the Park manager, at a rent of 10/- per week, to include rates.

22nd March 1934
That all paid labour employed on the Bowling Green in Haworth Park be stopped from Wednesday the 21st instant until the final scheme be formulated and submitted to and passed by the Council.
That an estimate of the cost of widening the Park gates in Butt Lane, in accordance with the proposed alterations, be obtained from Messers Sutcliffe Bros, Bradford.

5th June 1934
On the recommendations of the parks committee it was unanimously resolved that the tender of Messrs. Sutcliffe Bros Bradford for alterations to the Park Gates in Haworth Park, be accepted in the sum of £13-10-0.

That the surveyor be instructed to prepare scheme for completion of the bowling green in Haworth Park including Pavilion, together with specifications and estimate of cost, and that the matter be referred to the parks subcommittee for consideration and report.

October 2, 1934
The finance committee recommended that the parks committee be instructed to find a suitable site in Haworth Park for the removal and re-erection of the War Memorial. An amendment was moved by Mr Ackroyd and seconded by Mr Holmes that the matter be referred to the parks committee for consideration at their next meeting. On the chairman putting the amendment to the meeting he declared the same to be carried.

December 4, 1934
That the Bowling Green in Haworth Park be levelled up, ashes and drains laid, and prepared for turf, also the walls be completed at an estimated cost of £80.

 

1935


January 1, 1935
That the surveyor be instructed to take the level of the Bowling Green in Haworth Park, and proceed with the laying of the land drains immediately.

March 5, 1935
That the plan for completion of Bowling Green in the Haworth Park be approved at an estimated figure for completion of the work of £600.

March 21, 1935
It was resolved that application be made to the Ministry of Health for sanction to loan in the sum of £600 for Bowling Green, surrounds and Pavilion in the Haworth Park.

April 2, 1935
It was resolved that Police notices be posted at different points in the Council's parks warning people against damage to plant s and fittings in the parks.

It was resolved that the parks superintendent be empowered to purchase 19 Silver Birch trees, and that each member of the Council, along with the clerk and Mr James Barwick be asked to plant them in the Council's Park.

May 7, 1935
That two stainless steel spades be purchased for planting Jubilee trees, and afterwards for use in the Council's Park.

4th June 1935
That the engineer be instructed to repair the switch in the band stand in Haworth Park.

July 2, 1935
That the surveyor be instructed to prepare specification for the work on the bowling green in Haworth Park in accordance with the loan granted by the Ministry of Health.

September 3, 1935
That the surveyor's estimate for building parapet wall in connection with the Bowling Green in Haworth Park, in the sum of £78-4-0 be approved.

October 1, 1935
That a committee be appointed to consider the advisability of using the stone from the dismantled garage at the top of Vale mill Lane for a wall at the bowling green in Haworth Park.

December 3, 1935
That particulars of the scheme for children's playground in Haworth Park be forwarded to the Playing Fields Association and the Carnegie Trust, with a request for grant in aid of the provision of equipment and that the equipment be ordered for delivery, when required, with the option of the Council to vary class of equipment before delivery.
That the tender of Messers Wm Roper & Son, amounting to £10-10-8 for lettering with lead letters the names of members of the Council on inscription stone at the entrance to Haworth Park, be accepted.

1936


April 7, 1936
It was resolved that the clerk forward a letter of thanks to the Haworth Band for contribution of £11-11-0 towards children's playground equipment, Haworth Park.

May 5, 1936
That the parks subcommittee arrange for a sheep dog trial to be held, with proceeds to be in aid of the playing field equipment fund.

That letters be sent to the owners of two goats which are grazing on the Council's tennis enclosure, instructing them to remove the goats.

That tenders be obtained for the erection of the Pavilion near the Bowling Green in Haworth Park.

June 4 1936
It was resolved that the erection of a bowling green Pavilion in Haworth Park be proceeded with immediately, the contractor to inform of the acceptance of his contract, and the work carried out under the supervision of the parks subcommittee.

August 4, 1936
That tenders be obtained for a enlarging the greenhouse in Haworth Park and for building the continuation of the Park wall down Bridgehouse Lane, Haworth.
That in regard to letter from the Colne Borough Band and Silsden Prize Band re sums charged for playing in Haworth Park, the clerk reply that the Council regret they are unable to alter the terms originally agreed upon of £2 per band.

September 1, 1936
That the application for the bandstand and tent to be lit, during the coming Band contest be granted.

1937


March 2, 1937
That the Chairman and Vice Chairman of the parks committee be empowered to purchase necessary lamps for illumination of the bandstand, also floodlighting of the War Memorial in connection with Coronation festivities.

March 22, 1937
That a subcommittee be appointed, with power to act, to purchase equipment for bowls in Haworth Park, that not more than 30 sets of bowls be purchased.

That gas pipes be laid on to the Haworth Bowling Green Pavilion, with a view to heating it.
That the parks superintendent be empowered to purchase a sufficient number of nameplates for trees to be planted in connection with the Coronation celebrations.

That the parks superintendent be empowered to do what repairs he could to the paths surrounding the bandstand in Haworth Park.

That Mr Luty be asked to perform the opening ceremony in connection with the bowling green and Pavilion in Haworth Park.

That the question of fixing safety guard rails to the Plane Swing in Haworth Park be deferred.

April 6, 1917
On the motion of Mr Luty, seconded by Mr Midgley, it was resolved that steps be taken to obtain plans and estimates for the replacing of the Park house with a modern building.

It was resolved that the clerk communicate with the Headmasters of the Haworth and Lees Council schools, asking them to take steps to select one boy and one girl for each of the two schools to plant trees in connection with the forthcoming Coronation festivities, and to supply their names early in order that the plates may be ordered.

May 4, 1937
That a suitable spade be purchased for each child planting trees in connection with the Coronation celebrations, and that the chairman of the Council perform the introduction of the children and the handing over of the spades to them.

That notices advertising for a strong youth not over 16 years, as an apprentice in the Council's Haworth Park, at a wage of 15/-per week, be posted on suitable notice boards.

June 1, 1937
That the plan and estimates of rebuilding Park House be referred to the parks special subcommittee for detailed discussion.

That the chairman and Vice Chairman, along with the parks superintendent interview Clifford Bradbury, Mill Hey, Haworth, with a view to him commencing work as apprentice in the Council's Park.
That the action of the chairman and Vice Chairman of the parks committee in appointing Clifford Bradbury, assistant in the parks department as from 27th of May, 1937 at a wage of 15/-per week be confirmed.

September 7, 1937
That the bowlers in Haworth Park be allowed the use of the Bowling Green on 11 September for a match.

That steps be taken to obtain a suitable tablet and place a list of names of the existing councillors in Haworth Park and also one in Cross Roads Park.

That the application of the Haworth Bowling Club for permission to use Bowling Green in Haworth Park for playing matches, be granted, and that the charge for matches be 3/-per match.

November 2, 1937
That two tablets be procured for the commemoration of the Coronation, with the names of the members of the Council, one fixed on the terrace of the west side of the Bowling Green, in the Haworth Park, and one on the Pavilion at Cross Roads Park, from the Sanda Metal Co Ltd at a price of £30-5-0, and that the parks subcommittee be appointed to deal with the matter.
December 7, 1937

On the recommendation of the Parks & Recreation Ground Committee and on the motion of Mr G E Luty, seconded by Mr F Holmes, it was unanimously resolved:- That in response to a request made to the parks superintendent for assistance in tidying the Brontë Museum Garden he be authorised to furnish necessary labour only, all cost of any materials required to be borne by the Brontë society.

1938


March 29, 1938
That an expression of appreciation of the Surveyor's services to the Council be put on record, also of the services of the Parks Superintendent.

That a vote of thanks be extended to the Chairman and Vice Chairman, Mr Arthur Pickles and Mr Fred Holmes for their services, also including the Chairman of the Parks Committee, Mr G E Luty, for their collaboration with this committee.



haworth-village.org.uk 2001 - 2017


tracker