15/06/2014 - The Official opening of Haworth Bandstand
Photos of opening of Haworth Bandstand here... Update: 14th September 2014
To Book an event on the Bandstand
Apply to Mel Smith, Parks department at Cliff Castle (01535) 618068 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Other enquiries to email@example.com Telephone (01535) 644001 where your message will be dealt with during their opening hours 12 noon to 4pm Tuesday to Friday inclusive.
Any vandalism should be reported directly to the Police Tel:101
The 40 Year Wait is Finally Over!
The Friends of Haworth Park announce the official opening of the new Performing Arts Bandstand in Haworth Central Park by The Lord Mayor of Bradford, on the afternoon of Sunday 22nd of June 2014.Programme
2.45pm Official Opening by The Right Worshipful, the Lord Mayor of Bradford, Cllr. Michael Gibbons
2.45 Lord Mayor formal opening
3.00. Haworth Band
3.30. Poetry & background music
4.00. Haworth Band
4.45. Song Birds
8.00. Asian Arts Dancers
8.30. Betsy & the Writer
9.15. Box Jellys
10.00. Foxes Faux
(Running order subject to change)
The Friends of Haworth Park have been working for the last ten years to raise finance for a new version, fit for use in the 21st century. As you will see from the photo above, we have done away with the usual plinth, making it suitable for users of all abilities and allowing larger bands to perform without crowding.
Further innovations are a wood strip floor and a cantilevered top which has no supporting poles at the front, allowing drama, dance and other forms of music to be performed. This makes it far more useful for the community, yet still fitting in with the original 1920’s park design, now a conservation area and an English Heritage Grade II listed Park. Background
Haworth Central Park opened in 1927. The first performance on the new bandstand was by Haworth Brass Band.
Haworth Urban Parish Council was subsumed into Keighley in 1938. WW2 began the following year and post-war, there was little or no money for anything but essential maintenance.
By the early 1970’s, the structure which had had no maintenance since 1927 was in an unsafe state and it was dismantled and taken to Cliffe Castle in Keighley to be refurbished.
At this point the trail is lost. It may have been that during Local Authority reorganisation in 1974 when Keighley itself was subsumed into Bradford that this project fell through the cracks. Despite local people campaigning for its return, no trace or record of it remains.
The advent of Haworth, Cross Roads & Stanbury Parish Council in 1999 provided a voice and a petition was put in local shops in 2004 asking residents if they would support the return of a bandstand in Haworth Central Park. In just four days the petition received over 300 signatures, underlining the community support for its return.
In 2006, a Friends of Haworth Park Group was formed in partnership with the Parks Department and one of its briefs was to start the process for the return of this much loved focal point in the park. A New Design
A design brief was produced and it was decided that as brass bands tend to be bigger than pre-war and to meet with the current disability legislation to do away with a raised plinth. A further innovation was to create a performing arts structure - a bandstand in appearance, but with a cantilevered front canopy so that two of the vertical posts could be omitted, to provide a proper stage, suitable for a wider range of different entertainment than a traditional bandstand. Help from Bradford Council in the form of design & planning permission – which included Conservation Area and English Heritage approval - helped to move the project forward. People Power
Small grants from the Parish Council and the Keighley Coordinators Community Chest started the ball rolling. Collecting boxes appeared in local shops, with generous contributions from the public. Local fund raising events helped and then a major windfall came when the Worth
Valley Ward Councillors donated £10,000 from their fund following sale of Leeds Bradford Airport.
This, with money from the collecting boxes, private donations and generous help from Bradford Council saw the old base to be removed; new foundations, a new ground level base with a weather proof wooden strip floor and a new electrical supply put into place.
A contribution from The Lord Mayor of Bradford’s charity appeal 2010-11 added over £13,000 to the project and finally, in 2013, a Military Community Covenant Grant of over £40,000 was won, providing sufficient capital to complete the structure.
The project went out to tender in late 2013 and the performing arts structure was built by Andy Thornton Ltd and completed in early April 2014.
The 22nd June has been chosen for the official opening as a part of the week long Haworth Arts Festival, now in its 4th year. Support For Our Armed Services
Haworth has proved over recent years to be a major fund raiser for service charities and part of the idea behind the Military Covenant Grant is to improve the interface between our armed services and the general public.
To this end, a series of band concerts are already in place for 2014, with other entertainments in the planning stage, all of which will be attended by military charities, helping to improve public awareness of the role our armed services play in the world.
About Haworth Park here...
About building Haworth Park here...
About Friends of Haworth Park here...
The Haworth Band website www.thehaworthband.co.uk (opens in a new window)